Monday, November 10, 2008

Meditation


When Cathy, Squeak, and I walked the 2.1 miles to Glover Park (above, near the entrance to a walking trail) in my new neighborhood, I thought of my favorite meditation from the Shabbat Morning Service booklet from Shir Tikvah, St. Paul, MN:
o god of serenity, grant me the ability to be alone:

may it be my custom to go outdoors each day,
among the trees and grasses, among all growing things,
there to be alone and enter into prayer.

there may i express all that is in my heart,
talking with the one to whom i belong.

and may all grasses, trees, and plants
awake at my coming.

send the power of their life into my prayer,
making whole my heart and my speech
through the life and spirit of growing things,
made whole by their transcendent source.



Gingko trees spilling their gold across from Montrose Park on R Street NW.


Cathy and Squeak (barely visible ahead of Cathy) walking west past Montrose Park toward what will be my new home.


Remember the post last week about the Osage Oranges? Here they are, right along the hedge in Montrose Park.


Two miles later, here we are, almost at the new, huge park just a short block from my new dwelling.

It hasn't been easy to give up my wonderful little condo, but my new neighborhood is a wonder. Who knew? The people are very friendly, and things are not quite as rushed or NOISY as they are here. There are lots of little kids and happy dogs. The park shown is a national park, but it has two areas devoted to community gardens. One is right along the edge just up the street from the first picture, and another is deep in the middle of the forest.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!!! And your new neighborhood sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These images are wonderful, m.e. Thank you so much for sharing them, and I was going to wish you good luck in your new home, but it looks like good fortune has already started!

    I wish you continued good luck, then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful - they FEEL warm. Happy, happy, new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new neighbourhood looks charming.
    Is it another condo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:01 AM

    thanks, all, for your kind words. and no, shammy, it's not a nother condo. it's an apartment without a washer&dryer, a dishwasher, or a microwave. major relearning experience coming up....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm delighted that you have a place to live and won't be homeless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos! Need more close ups of Squeak...

    I'm looking forward to seeing the new digs!

    Sal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:59 PM

    I'm so glad to know you will be living near all this beauty! Hope I will be there to see it someday soon.
    Love, The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures show a lovely neighborhood and a beautiful place to walk. I am sure you will be happy there.

    I would hate to give up my microwave, though. I do my best cooking (almost my only cooking) in it.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.