When Don and I were first married and living in Massachusetts, we used to buy lobsters for $1 a pound. A nice lobster was about 1 pound, so I'd go buy 3 of them, throw them in a sack, and drive them home. i could hear them wrestling around in the bag in the back seat. our landlady used to be ready for me when i got home. she'd have the water boiled and a pound brick of butter melted in an enamel pot. then, while the lobsters were cooking (i couldn't watch that part), she'd cover a bridge table with newspapers, tie a big dishtowel around her neck, and get ready to dig into her lobster on the back porch. she ate absolutely everything but the shells...just sucked 'em all clean. then she'd come into the kitchen and stare at what we were NOT eating of our lobsters (the tomalley, eck)...which, to her, was all the best stuff. she'd haul that out to the porch, too, and feast away.
Perhaps he's lactose intolerant? So cute! Maybe they can afford lobster, but I've just been priced out of the grapefruit market of Whole Foods!
ReplyDeleteI love lobster, but I can't even afford lobster tails. I have never cooked a live lobster and don't think I want to.
ReplyDeleteWhenn I lived in Newfoundland, lobster was everyday food. (Sigh.) It's still pretty affordable here in Atlantic Canada, but not every day!
ReplyDeleteWhen Don and I were first married and living in Massachusetts, we used to buy lobsters for $1 a pound. A nice lobster was about 1 pound, so I'd go buy 3 of them, throw them in a sack, and drive them home. i could hear them wrestling around in the bag in the back seat. our landlady used to be ready for me when i got home. she'd have the water boiled and a pound brick of butter melted in an enamel pot. then, while the lobsters were cooking (i couldn't watch that part), she'd cover a bridge table with newspapers, tie a big dishtowel around her neck, and get ready to dig into her lobster on the back porch. she ate absolutely everything but the shells...just sucked 'em all clean. then she'd come into the kitchen and stare at what we were NOT eating of our lobsters (the tomalley, eck)...which, to her, was all the best stuff. she'd haul that out to the porch, too, and feast away.
ReplyDeletewot is so expensive about grapefruit? i can't eat it any more cuz it reacts with my poisonous statins, but i used to love it.
ReplyDeletexo, ma