This morning I got tagged with a meme by dear Kay. Problem is, I don't dare send out any more memes, especially with all the linking rules. Most of my online friends who actually respond to memes apparently can barely turn on the computer. One of them just recently said she didn't know how to PASTE (and I don't believe you for one minute, EJT). These are all very smart people, so maybe they're just trying to get out of doing things like this. Ha. Message to Kay: we're so smart, why haven't WE thought of this?? Next time Ole Phat Stu lobs a meme at you, say "Who are you and what's a meme?"
Anyway, here are six random (boring, inane) items re moi:
1) In automotive terms, I'm an old clunker, going around patched together with various spare parts: 3 stents, 1 plastic lens in place of the old cataract-laden natural lens, one cochlear implant, and two lovely bridges that allow me to smile without looking like a jack-o-lantern. People even have told me they can see my plastic lens glinting back at them from whichever eye it's in.
2) When cleaning out the drawers of my nightstand yesterday, I found all kinds of useful things (like my ID card for Johns Hopkins Listening Center) and my perfectly good but batteryless fake Rolex purchased in NYC not far from Times Square). I tossed out some bedtime reading by..heh...Anais Nin, however...not only did it not turn me on, it wasn't even INTERESTING.
3) I can change my mind and plans with lightning speed and don't much bat an eye. For example, I am no longer (as of 8:33 a.m., Sunday, November 16) going to move to Glover Park (see last week's post with all the pitchers). An apartment manager called me on Thursday and apologized for not calling me back two weeks ago when I first contacted her. She had nothing then, but she now has three apartments available, and her building is across the street from a Metro stop! The apartments have all the light and space of, and are cheaper than, the other place, but in addition to proximity to Metro, they have in-house laundry machines and a big Safeway behind the building. There are no woods to speak of, and the neighborhood is what they call "up-and-coming" here in DC. It reminds me of my old neighborhood in Prospect Heights (minus the brownstones) or the area around City College in Harlem. I loved both of those neighborhoods. I'll take some photos as soon as I decide when and whether it's safe to go around with a camera hanging from my neck. Maybe I'll take it with me on my first visit to the fried chicken place on the corner.
[UPDATE...for those of you to whom I sent the Glover Park website, here's Prince of Petworth...somebody you may have read about in Mad DC Cabbie]...
4) I do all my wash about every other day in one machine, and I don't sort colors. This works because I use approximately one tablespoon of pricey liquid detergent from WF and cold water only. I do make exceptions....I don't wash sheets with other items mainly because in the dryer, the other items (like my pathetic t-shirts and jeans) wind up wadded into the corners of the fitted bottom sheet, and they don't dry well. Nuts to that.
5) I can't remember squat, but who cares? It seems perfectly normal.
6) I am a yellow or blue dog Democrat (which one is it that's the diehard version?) and have been for most of my life except when I was married. My husband was chair of the Young Republicans in our county, so to keep the peace, I switched. In fact, I served as a Republican election judge in our little precinct, and that was some job....we had to be there from like 6 or 7 in the morning to set up and stay ALL DAY until maybe 1 or 2 a.m. the following morning till after we had counted and recorded all the votes. I discovered during this period of apostasy that if you scratch a Republican OR a Democrat, what you find underneath is a POLITICIAN--someone who will say anything, depending on who's listening, to get a vote. And I absolutely do NOT see why we don't use paper ballots any more. If we can deforest whole hillsides to make paper towels, we can do paper ballots.
Clunker? Not! Your a wonderful assortment of technology with blood and flesh.
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff! I enjoyed this.
thanks, dave....how's it going in chez poirier??
ReplyDeleteLOL I like your random things!
ReplyDeleteHi there, Kay tagged me, too! I don't have a position on whether to meme or not to meme, but I've learned it's a great way to find new blogs, meet new friends, marvel at humanity. So thanks to Kay for turning me on to you and your blog--love your writing--I'll be back!
ReplyDeleteYou always manage to find great places to live! I think your list of reasons why the new place is better rings true. Hurray for the Metro stop! The D.N.
ReplyDeletethanks, all, for stopping by and leaving a comment. kokopelliwoman ...it's always wonderful to meet a new friend via blogging.
ReplyDeleteWhile Glover Park looked wonderful the outside area isn't as important as the interior of your residence. After all, you spend most of your life inside; especially if you're retired.
ReplyDeleteYour meme is so good I won't be able to top it so I might borrow a few ideas from you. Kay tagged me too.
Darlene: Thanks for mentioning the dirty little secret of retirement for some of us: that it's SWELL to stay inside if you don't have to go out. Some days I never see the sky except through the windows. I've been enjoying this part of retirement more than I can say. I love me nest. I do go out walking a lot, but not every day. And I did buy one of those pedometer things, but first I lost it for two weeks, and now I have a hard time remembering to put the damn thing on when I go outside. I also find that after I've passed about 5800 steps, I'm looking for the nearest BUS back home. That's my life, and I'm living it.
ReplyDelete