Thursday, November 13, 2008

Goat cheese.....

Oy....somebody at Shakesville has come up with a pasta dish with goat cheese to soothe our battered spirits, etc. or something like that.

Problem is, I don't like goat cheese even a little bit. The only goat cheese I ever ate that I loved (and which I ate because I didn't KNOW what it was) was something a wine merchant in Ravello served last summer. I loved it because it absolutely did NOT TASTE REMOTELY LIKE GOAT CHEESE.

Goat cheese to me tastes like...well...GOAT.

Every time I try to eat it, i remember the old billy goat in the Bismarck zoo.

If you got near him, you could smell him for WEEKS. Whatever creates goat scent got right into your nose hairs and stayed there. For a long time. GACK!!!

I think goat cheese smells and tastes like CAMEL BUTT. Peeeyoo!!!!

So save the goat cheese recipes, ok? Martha Stewart has gone hog wild with these recipes lately. She's also into "southern" turkey. I don't want to eat turkey that's been basted with brown sugar, ok? Martha and people like Paula Deen and Emeril can get together and ruin everything if they want, but don't ask me to follow their recipes. Food used to be a fun magazine. Now it just makes me queasy.

8 comments:

  1. Man - that cheese really got your goat! It sounds like the stuff really curdles your toes. I thought of a new motto for you...
    "No whey, no how!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:14 AM

    I couldn't agree more about goat cheese. To me it tastes awful and infects everything in the dish. I'm confounded by how many people like it. My taste buds must be different. Mario Battali's theory is you like it (or not) based on where you experience "goat" first - in the cheese or the farm. -H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love goat cheese but I will never serve it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love goat cheese too, however it makes a difference if you eat fresh goat cheese from a local source or an import. Imported goat cheese tends to sit in its wrapper longer and that will make it more pungent and less appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was absolutely superlative cheese...kind of hard and crumbly and a bit darker in color--like parmesan...but with ZERO of that horble goat aura. i've been looking around in the cheese cases at both whole foods and dean & deluca in hope of spotting something that resembles it, but non....

    we have the freshest of the fresh goat cheeses at the DC farmers market every sunday, and they all make me gag.

    i think it's ITALY, and i need to MOVE THERE!! if nowt else, i could export that fabulous goat cheese to the deprived US market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and h., i think molto mario has it exactly right. it was my bad luck to experience goat first at the farm (zoo) rather than in the cheese. i can't even stand goat's milk, though cathy keeps shoving it at me every time we go to whole foods. "It's very good for you!!!" she says. bleah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:56 AM

    Try it with French bread and butter. Yum. Yum.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. cathy...French bread and butter, I agree...but why ruin it with goat cheese? also, spanish* bread and olive oil is the new taste delight in chez carew. eat all you want, you won't get fat!!

    *i really don't know what kind of bread this is, or how they make it, but next time i'm in jaleo, i'll find out. yum yum

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.