Sunday, April 01, 2007

An indigestion of greenness....



...One must have constantly before one's eyes the very presence of life. the sky, the earth, a piece of paper, a passing figure, a cobweb. That is why one must not discriminate between things. There is no rank among them. One must take one's good where one finds it....

The painter passes through states of fullness and of emptying. That is the whole secret of art. I take a walk in the forest of Fontainbleu. There I get an indigestion of greenness. I must empty this sensation into a picture. Green dominates in it. The painter paints as if in urgent need to discharge hiimself of his sensations and his visions....

It is not what the artist does that counts, but what he is.... What interests me is the uneasiness of Cezanne, the real teaching of Cezanne, the torments of van Gogh, that is to say the drama of the men.


-from Picasso's Guernica: the Genesis of a Painting (U. of California, 1962)

1 comment:

  1. Green is always so welcome after being away all winter. I remember walking through Palisades Park in the spring and almost FEELING the green.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.