Monday, April 16, 2007

Two Weeks....

Today was two weeks from turn-on day, and I decided to see if I actually could hear some music. I bought a CD Walkman yesterday, so tonight I hacked and wrestled it out of the nightmarish plastic packaging, found a fresh AA battery, and set it up with the only CD in the house: "Beatles 1." Sally must have forgotten it when she was here recently. I plugged the audio cord into my processor, turned everything on, propped the manual on the couch next to me, and tried to figure out the sound controls while the first tunes played. I recognized the Beatles unique beat almost at once...so far so good. After about 15 minutes of fiddling with various small controls, I was preparing to turn it off and find more appropriate music, when suddently I heard, as clear as a bell, "I want to hold your hand." Whaddya know?! That's all I could pick out, and it wasn't musical, but I heard it. That's progress!!

6 comments:

  1. That's so great! I hope that as time rolls on you can hear more and more music.

    What about picking out other sounds? Any new birdsong? Overheard any conversations yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:47 AM

    m.e., we all want to hold your hand on this journey and look forward to the sounds ahead.
    yours, naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy:
    I need more listening practice, and I've found a number of websites with programs you can download. So far, however, they're all for PCs. It's been raining and very windy, so the birds are staying at home and keeping quiet. Good idea.

    Naomi:
    Thanks for your kind words...there's lots more work ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your progress!

    Have you considered setting up a category on your blog where all your posts specifically about your cochlear implant adaptation and process could be easily referred to by others? Guess that's something to consider much later. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. joared:

    that's a great idea! now all i have to do is figure out how to do it! lol....

    stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! (Being able to pick out phrases in music so early on.) I'm really impressed! It took me months to understand sentences in songs. You're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.