Monday, April 23, 2007

Cochlear Implant, Week 3....

Three weeks ago, they turned my cochlear implant on. Today I was reading Wired for Sound, Bev Biderman's classic report on her experiences after her implant was turned on. And I realized that, disappointed though Biderman was initially with her lack of significant experiences compared with many, she was way ahead of me. I'm a bit disappointed that my results have not been more dramatic or even recognizable. Maybe they implanted the wrong ear....my left ear has much more hearing than the right one did (the one with the implant). Maybe this is as loud and distinct as it's going to get. Maybe the nerve in my right ear has atrophied from long disuse. Other people were having conversations in restaurants and making phone calls right off the bat. Not me. Of course, Biderman was lots younger than I am now when she got her implant. She was a mere kid of 46. Hmph.

Well, Biderman's book is a treasure trove of resources and support materials for implantees, and I need to get with the program. No use sitting around whining.

5 comments:

  1. Patience Ma! It may take a year or two for everything to come back. You've been deaf a long time, longer than some of these other pups have been on this earth.

    Has any new sound been identified?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took a while to lose your hearing, so perhaps it will take a while to come back again. Have patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Congrats on the first step: getting a CI. But, you *are* in for a roller coaster ride. I became quite depressed at certain points too.

    I think you need to find out what you enjoy hearing, and then spend time with that. ANY experience listening will do you good, whether it's music (as it was for me) or birdsong or crunching gravel as you walk. Just enjoy, and don't worry too much about "performance".

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg, Ex-Shammickite, and B:

    Good advice all around. Many thanks.

    P.S. to B:

    Not that I'm glad you were depressed, but whew! My favorite thing to listen to is "100 Toddler Favorites." Figures....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:47 PM

    From inside, clearly it is difficult and frustrating. But from outside, I really feel like I experience a difference of communication in a positive direction. That is I slow up my speech less--beaucoup less--when I talk with you. Expression and conversation are less tortured. More natural. I think that you are integrating audio and visual cues much better. Hey, you just got new glasses. Bet that helps too.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.