Saturday, March 31, 2007

Book Review!!



The mail keeps bringing amazing things these days....yesterday it was a copy of Sally and her friend Francine's new book, The Handbook of Style: Expert Fashion and Beauty Advice. Congratulations, Sally!!! It's gone right to the pride of place on my desk: the top of the stack!!

It's full of great stuff: "How to trim your bangs," "How to tie a scarf like a French woman," "How to get and keep smooth skin," "How to bundle up without looking like a walrus"....

Following each chapter is a cute q&a sidebar, and the last question is always "What is your favorite fashion scene from a movie?"

Rest assured, most of the answers, given by the experts in their fields whom Sally and Francine interviewed, go right over my head. These experts in fashion and beauty are serious movie fans.

For example, after "How to choose an overcoat," the favorite movie fashion scene of expert Rick Weinstein of Searle (a NYC coat design firm and retailer) is "Any scene from Sleepless in Seattle, the raincoat's finest hour." Did you notice any raincoats in that movie? I was too busy being freaked out by Meg Ryan driving down the freeways and not looking out the windshield!!

Actually, I could have helped Sally and Francine out on the "How to choose an overcoat." My advice would be "Drop hints around your son-in-law...with luck, he'll give you his old coat after he gets a brand new one!" [I've gotten tons of compliments on that coat, Jay. It's still the best of the best in my closet.]

2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! Go Sal! She has always has a wonderful sense of style. At least she doesn't make the same fashion gaffes as her elder sister.

    I suppose if one is in the business of selling raincoats, you would notice what raincoats were being worn during Sleepless in Seattle. I only remember that Ben & Jerry's ice cream was being eaten at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:12 PM

    haha...i don't remember that, either. I remember the teddy bear and the backpack, and the two kids buying a ticket online.....

    xo, ma

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.