Ex-Shammickite sent an article from a Canadian newspaper about a 9-year-old girl who began losing her hearing when she was 3. Hearing aids worked for a while, but then they became ineffective. Now at age 9, she has received a cochlear implant, and the title of the article is "A Joyful Noise." It took her six months to get used to the implant, but now she sings and plays the piano. Congratulations to this brave little girl whose world has opened up dramatically with the addition of sounds, imperfect and limited though they be. I am reminded of one of my favorite sayings from the original Whole Earth Catalog: "What most you fear is where the gold is."
http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=18184&sc=85
[Thanks, Ex-Shammickite for sending this along. I've been admiring your "zipper in the sky photo" and the spotted dog next to the fairy door. Your blog won't let me comment, though. We have fairy doors here in Georgetown, too, but the mice use them....]
[Miscellaneous CI tidbit: The building in which I work every weekday also houses the Cochlear Implant Education Center, mainly focusing on information for parents and teachers of deaf and hard of hearing children. Its director, Deb Nussbaum, is a gracious, knowledgeable lady. She has written an article on the Clerc Center website about navigating the forest of information about CIs, one tree at a time.]
Thanks for your tip about my blog comments, I think access to comments got turned off by accident somehow. I'm glad you found the newspaper article about 9 yr old Rachel, yes, she is very brave I think. The Telegram newspaper is published in St Johns, Newfoundland, on the far far east coast of Canada, a place I absolutely love to visit.
ReplyDeleteI sure wish I could be there for the big SWITCH ON.
ReplyDelete