Thus, here's a handy little video to show you how they might have done it. You can make white wine, too....just use white grape juice. The white wine recipe calls for using champagne yeast, but Whole Foods has some good German yeast that might work just fine. And here's a link to the WikiHOW article.
We made our own red wine once--gallons of it from all the red grapes that grew in the Missouri river bottomland south of town. That wild grape variety has the worst reputation among home wine makers, but we forged ahead. Peggy and Sally were just tots, but they went along on the grape picking venture with our friends the Bergers and all their ambulant kiddies. Katie and Tom had not arrived on the planet.
The process was more complicated than the video shows: we had to squeeze the grapes and mix it with the sugar and yeast in a big ceramic crock until it was ready to sit in the fermenting containers--big glass jugs obtained from the Big Boy restaurant east of town. We kept it downstairs next to the furnace while it fermented, and it produced a LOT of wine. We bottled some of it, but we left most of it right in the glass jugs. I gave a bottle to my parents, and we threw away the rest when we moved out of that house to the log house.
It was pretty raw, and besides, nobody was into wine in those days. It was several decades before restaurants began having wine lists.
Anyway, my parents took the bottle of wine home and put it in the cabinet over their refrigerator. And there it sat for a few years. When my mother had a heart attack, I went down to visit her and stay with Dad. I decided to make Shrimp Newburg for lunch one day, and I needed some wine. I remembered the wine over the fridge, so I got it out, opened it, took a sip....and whoa....it had lost all of its raw edges and was clear and beautiful. So that's what happens when you age a good wine! Alas, there was no more around after that bottle was gone. C'est la vie....
OK - SO I didn't know that Grandma D had survived a heart attack.
ReplyDeleteThe Man of the Place used to make wine. Made loads of it.
The nice thing about living here in and in this time is that wine making supplies are readily available. :-) I may take it up and see how I get on.
My husband made wine out of prickly pear fruit one time. It was ghastly!
ReplyDeleteWhen we were in Wyoming we were invited to an Italian wedding. At the reception was a vat of home made 'dago red' wine. It was so potent that one glass would make you 'tiddly'. I couldn't drink it; one sip was enough for me.
Peggy: You were just a toddler when Grandma had her heart attack. Years later, when she was in the hospital after getting the diagnosis of cancer, her heart doctor walked in, and she said, "You get out of here. I'd much rather die of a heart attack than what I've got now."
ReplyDeleteDarlene: They used to make "wedding whiskey" in ND, too. I'll bet the homemade dago red was a close relative. wedding whiskey was simple enough: you just caramelized about 5 lbs of sugar in a big iron skillet, then added a quart or two of water, and a quart of Everklear and stirred it up. It looked just like regular whiskey, but was very smooth going down, and it would knock you on your ass.
Great story! This is one thing I haven't tried yet. Hey, what about dandelion wine. This is the perfect time, right? Nobody has tried that?
ReplyDeleteThe D.N.
haven't the foggiest about making dandelion wine. sorry.
ReplyDeleteI made dandelion wine onece, it was OK but a lot of work as it's supposed to be made of just the yellow flowers, very hard to pick out all the green bits. However it was a lovely yellow colour.
ReplyDeleteMy mother made orenge wine out of mouldy oranges that the greengrocer had in his basement. She said it was delicious but I was too young at the time to try it.
shammy: interesting about the oranges! never heard of that before. hmmm....wonder how they make Grand Marnier??
ReplyDeletealso i'm curious now about dandelion wine. dandelions are a great unused natural resource for healing. I've been a fan of dandelion root tea and dandelion greens for a long time, but that's only a couple of their gifts to us. it makes me very sad that we can't think of anything to do with dandelions but poison them with those infernal lawn services.