Saturday, April 03, 2010

I wanna bangerbur*!

It's Saturday afternoon, the day before Easter Sunday. I think they called this Holy Saturday, who knows? What I remember most about it was that the Lenten fast used to end at noon on this day. My dad would have a good sandwich for lunch, with probably a glass of beer and a cigarette, too. He used to give up smoking and drinking for Lent every year, but at noon today, it was back to his normal diet. I just remember feeling THRILLED about it, even though nothing much culinary changed for me. I was just glad for my dad. Mom was, too. He suffered the most from fasting, though I think he could have done ok without the food. It was the highball before dinner and the cigarettes that he missed.

He wasn't a big drinker...he saved his quarters in a little metal bank that looked like a book, and when he had enough, he'd buy another bottle of Jim Beam. He paid for his Pall Malls the same way.

There's been no fasting in Casa Maria Elena for many years, and I quit smoking in 1979. So this is simply remembrance of things past. One thing that used to amuse me about Canon Law was the fact that you could get around just about any church rule with it. For example, if you were fasting, you could still drink as much as you wanted--tea, coffee, water, and yes, beer and booze, too. And if you were drinking an alcoholic beverage, you could have a snack so that you didn't get drunk. And Bob's your uncle....(in my children's case, true!)

But it just occurred to me that i really, really WOULD like a hamburger right now. I don't fast for spirichal reasons, but I'm laying off meat cuz it's a) so expensive and b) i can't afford it. Hmmmm.... Maybe a nice turkey burger?????

*This is what our small neighbor Jeffy Berger used to call this delicacy.

12 comments:

  1. Just had a cheesburger with Sammy in CT and it was good! I'll be full till Pentecost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to love 1/4 pounders/w cheese at mickey d's. and the mother of one of my high school classmates made killer cheeseburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Fridays which really isn't a sacrifice because I love fish and seafood and mac and cheese. The best burger in town here is at John's Bar which sounds like a dive but it isn't and it has great steaks and seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a GOOD hamburger in ages and haven't had a cigarette in even longer. I kinda miss them both . . . . booze on the other hand I never gave up completely. Happy Easter!

    Wouldn't it be nice to go to Uncle Bob's for Easter? Sally and I wouldn't have to sit at the children's table anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:26 PM

    ME--Is ground turkey really less expensive than ground beef? Hmmm...I do like Boca Burgers! I don't recall having a hamburger until my elder brother went to college. We didn't eat out, at all, let alone know about hamburger joints! I do love a 1/4-pound burger with guacamole and a bit of onion, jalapena, tomato, and lettuce.
    Joyous Easter to you!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  6. cop car: in this week's safeway circular, 1 lb of ground beef is $4.99, and 1 lb of ground turkey is $2.99. there are various permutations on this, but i generally find ground turkey cheaper.

    we never had hamburgers, either; and we never ate out until all my brothers were gone from home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can have one of my chickens for free if you want, as long as I get to choose which one and you pay the shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:40 PM

    It's been months since I had a hamburger. Oooh now that reminds me to eat one when given a chance. Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sherwood: most generous of you, but how would the chicken feel about that?

    charles: nothing like a good hamburger. hamburgers are why i am not fully vegetarian. just have to eat meat now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was always glad that I was a Protestant and didn't have to fast.

    We had good Catholic friends that fasted for lent and we always had them for Easter dinner. Boy, how that man could eat when he went off his fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On "bangerbur" - kids' attempts at words are so entertaining. Mia recently went with "electric" for allergic. And she referred to the first and second of a series as the oneth and twoth.

    H

    ReplyDelete
  12. HC10: so sweet....of course, i'm living in the place sally used to call "washing, dc"

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.