I stopped by my future apartment today to pick up some mail and check on the progress of the "cleaning and painting" being done on my new home.
There was a CREW of 3 or 4 people...some painting, some laying new kitchen tile, another laying new bathroom tile. Every room in my apt will be NEWLY refurbished by next week sometime.
The apartment management company, Bernstein Management, operates apartment buildings in DC, MD, and VA. I looked at apts in three of them, and every single place was shiny clean and in perfect repair.
I told the building manager today that I'd never seen anything like this outside of a convent!
The convent in which I spent my handful of years in religious life was really three buildings: the novitiate, the provincial ("pro") house, and the home of the old and infirm sisters.
The upkeep of the buildings was in the strong, chapped hands of one Sister Harriet. Sister Harriet, despite her enormous responsibilities and long hours, actually was retired--from hospital administration--and living out her days at a less strenuous, if not exactly leisurely, pace.
Sir Alexander Fleming, famous for describing and naming Penicillin, visited Sister Harriet's hospital one time and said, "Sister, this is the cleanest hospital I've ever seen in my entire life." I don't recall if she swooned or not, but if Sister Harriet was fond of mops & buckets before this event, she loved them devotedly after that. And she never hesitated to use strong measures to keep dirt at bay.
Once or twice a year, she gave each of the novices a package of steel wool and a bottle of powerful wax remover. She sent us out into the corridors to remove the floor wax that had built up by the walls and in the corners during weekly buffing by heavy floor polishers. Since we had taken the vow of poverty, there were none of the rubber gloves sported by the likes of Donna Reed and other middle-class housewife types on TV. (There was no TV, either.)
After a day of floor wax removal, none of us would have been able to leave a fingerprint since the whorl things on our fingertips had been eaten away by the steel wool and cleaning potion. It was always a relief to wake up the next morning and find that our fingernails were no longer soft and gummy.
Books talk a lot about the "odor of sanctity" in convents. What people are smelling is not sanctity....it's soap. I'm looking forward to moving into the good, clean smell of a freshly painted and refurbished apartment next week. If that's sanctity, I'll take it.
Cooooooooooool!
ReplyDeleteHi, Mary Ellen. O lucky chance that the management should be so on top of things. I didn't know that about Sir Alexander Fleming's visiting St Mary's or St Joseph's hospitals. Apocryphal or not, it's a good story. I certainly remember the wax removal, both wood floors and terrazo. and Sister Harriet's disdain for those of us who didn't give a damn about wax build-up. Thanks for the memory. Paula
ReplyDeleteYes, Kay...very cool!
ReplyDeletePR: in 1945 after he won the nobel, fleming went on a triumphal tour of canada and the US. i'm rather sure he landed in the twin cities to make his way to the mayo clinic to be honored. i heard this story from an OLDER SISTER!! like, immaculata?? ver vaist? or maybe your friend g.w.?
What a great story... I'm finding more and more about your previous lives every day!
ReplyDeleteNow I am wondering... if you have moved out of your old apartment and the new one is still being painted and prepped for your grand entance, where are you living right now? On the street? Under a bridge?
What an incredible story!
ReplyDeleteIt is so wonderful to move into a place like that. This is what happened to me some twelve years ago when I finally managed to haul myself out of my former flat and was able to have everything painted and arranged the way I wanted it.
Which explains why I'd be reluctant to go anywhere else... ;)
I absolutely love cleaning and one of my favorite movie lines is in Something's Gotta Give with Diane Keaton. A soon-to-be love interest tells her she smells wonderful. She shrugs and says, "It's just soap."
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see the new place all spiffed up!
I enjoyed this very much. It intrigued me enough to go to some sites on Flemming and read more.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
So glad to know you're not completely homeless.
ReplyDeleteLiving in Baltimore greatly expanded our knowledge of the Catholic church-- its neighborhoods (upper/middle/lower class), its schools, and hospitals. In 1969 when we arrived, we met several priests and nuns who'd recently left the church, were active in free school and peace movements. It was a very hopeful time.
ReplyDeleteAnd we were always struck by the squeaky cleanliness of church buildings--and something else, quiet and held close. Your writing on scrubbing and the solitary life illuminate some of the mystery for me.