Wednesday, December 10, 2008

HTBC*

I was meandering among the blogs this a.m....checked in at kokopelliwoman, whose blog is chock full of great posts (esp on politics and music) and who (once she returns from vacation) has promised to do a meme as requested by Kay. This morning I discovered a widget for gapingvoid: cartoons drawn on the back of business cards down on the right side of her blog. It's probably been there all along, but I've been, ah, busy rearranging my livelihood, life, and living quarters (more like dimes).

The creator of gapingvoid is Hugh MacLeod, whose profile says this:

Short Version: I draw cartoons and create "Blue Monsters" for a living.

Long Version: Besides "cartoons drawn on the back of business cards", my main gig is Marketing Strategist for Stormhoek, a small South African vineyard, whose Web 2.0 approach to wine making is currently getting a lot of international attention in the wine trade.

My other main interest at the moment has been working with Microsoft on The Blue Monster Project, which has all to do with finding new ways to get the company to tell its story better.

The most-read page on gapingvoid is "How To Be Creative"*, with "The Hughtrain" ["The market for something to believe in is infinite"] running a distant second. My favorite page on the site is this one, where I talk about some of my favorite early biz-card cartoons, and what inspired the thinking behind them.


Here are only some of these great tips:

#9 Everybody has their own private Mount Everest they were put on this earth to climb.

#19 Sing in your own voice.

#22 Nobody cares. Do it for yourself.

I also love his cartoons on the backs of business cards. I still must have a couple hundred business cards from all my various jobs with titles. It's always seemed a shame to just throw them out when my title changed, though that's usually what I did. When I was packing to move, however, I did find some strays pockets of business cards.
Opportunities are everywhere!!!

1 comment:

  1. I attended Hugh's panel at SXSWi a couple of years ago. Learned oodles about using humor in marketing.

    My favorite one is a wooden fence, a telescope pointing through a small hole into bottomless black..."Gaze into the void. 25 cents." Or 5 cents. Captures the Wry Prize. It's tacked to my cubby wall.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.