Monday, August 18, 2008

Stu's phat!

Typos, typos everywhere! Ole Phat Stu, blogger extraordinaire residing in Germany, sent a comment to Kay's Thinking Cap this past week, and I responded, referring to him as "Ole Fat Stu." How wrong can anyone get? In addition to being brilliant (he's quite a mathematician) and exceptionally kind and thoughtful (he rode his motorbike to the town where my grandmother is buried to see if her grave was still in the churchyard), he's reputedly quite slim & trim. The word I wanted to use was "phat," but I just got careless and typed "fat."

Here's what Dictionary.com says about "phat":

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
phat - adjective Slang. great; wonderful; terrific.

Wikipedia also says that the term started in the 60s as an admiring "backronym"--"Pretty Hot And Terrific."

Phat--that's Stu, all right!

(And in honor of my upcoming retirement in two weeks, here's the Dixie Chicks singing "Wide Open Spaces.")

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Now you're embarrassing me ;-)

    BTW, the URL for the current month's blog is always this :-
    http://www.savory.de/blog.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:37 PM

    ok....my late father-in-law used to say "if it's the truth, it ain't braggin..."

    will fix the link....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:08 PM

    What?? Gallaudet is really letting you go? Now I know the world IS coming to an end! What's in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:41 AM

    cher anonymous....kindly tell us who you are so we can enjoy your visit even more....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:28 PM

    You didn't know it was me?? I'm not so anonymous... just forgot to add the PET at the end!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.