Saturday, August 02, 2008

Go, Matt!! - updated with rowing schedule, more





Here are some of my brother Bob's grandchildren sitting on his front step one Minnesota summer day in 1992. Matt, the sweet boy in green, is putting a bunch of flowers on top of his cousin Molly's headband. Anne, his sister, is holding Madeline, another young cousin. For lively, good-looking wholesomeness, the little group could be part of a family gathering in a Bergman movie.

Of course, they're all grown up now. The sweet boy in green no longer has braces on his teeth, and he's an imposing 6'5", 205 lb. athlete who is going to be competing in the upcoming Summer Olympics in Beijing.

My brother is going to Beijing along with Matt's parents, Ellen and Dana, and sister, Anne, and his Schnobrich grandparents to cheer him on. Bob's a homebody--he still lives in that house and keeps it up himself like the engineer he is--but he loves to travel when the occasion presents itself. This occasion is irresistible.

A whole bunch of Matt's relatives relatives and friends will be glued to their TV sets sometime during the August 9-17 competitions. I can't find the specific schedule for Matt's events, but if someone supplies it, I'll post it here. Good luck, Matt! May the wind and the current be with you!!

UPDATE: Thanks, Lu (Molly's mom), for sending the following links to the US Rowing schedule next week:
Sports Illustrated complete rowing schedule

NBC's local station finder for coverage by sport


UPDATE: Thanks, too, to Jim Feeney for finding these bios on the USRowing and NBC sites.

Jim mentioned that it took a while before he could get the NBC interview to work. I second that! I had to download Silverlight software to play it, but it's available free on the site. Good luck. Matt does have a very nice Minnesota (Minnesota nice) accent.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    Great pix! Let's hope the time difference doesn't cause too much of a problem for those of us back in the USA. Go Matt! The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's only the venue and the dates so far on the official website. i feel sorry for the chinese...they're having to do massive cleanup and lay down a bunch of strict rules as to who can drive and when and where. they probably don't have time to worry about WHEN it's all going to come off....:)

    m.e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Aunt M.E. I'm forwarding the times shortly.

    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those priceless cousins pictures! And good news for Matt. I'll be rooting for him when I watch the rowing events in the Olympics, but only if he's not rowing against a Canadian.... in that case I'll encourage him to come second!

    And you're dead right about the carpenter's apron, it really makes a differnece!!! heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a hero to me already! That sport is a definite challenge. My daughter always wanted to try it! I'
    ll be cheeting for him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Matt!!

    He looks so much like his mother in that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:50 PM

    They are adorable! And now an Olympian! Wonderful.

    Cathryn

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.