Thursday, August 21, 2008

Miscellany for August 21, 2008

If I could be anything at all in the world, it would be an architect. An engineer I know says, "Architects are assholes." That doubtless has something to do with the fact that she feels the architects she's met have had vastly overinflated opinions of themselves and in reality (i.e., her opinion) know nothing at all about how a building should work. Perhaps. Architects and engineers are both needed, I'm sure....especially nowadays.

I'm wondering, however, how an engineer would perceive Antoni Gaudi, the famed architect of Barcelona, which is so wonderfully revealed in "Vicky Christina Barcelona," my one of my favorite Woody Allen movies so far. Hmm...lots of people think Woody Allen is an asshole, too. There seem to be many assholes, eh?

And here are our fine rowing boys once more. Aren't they beautiful?

3 comments:

  1. You're retiring in two weeks? REALLY retiring?
    Then you'll have lots more blogging time, And travelling time. And reading time. How exciting. Are you looking forward to it?
    And yes, the USA team are all very handsome dudes. Congratulations of their medal.
    And now I hear there is controversy regarding the ages of some of the Chinese gymnasts.... I'm not surprised, they all look about 12 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:15 PM

    Great picture! Which one is Matt? 4th from right or 2nd from left? The little coxswain on the right end lets us see just how tall these guys are!
    The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:32 PM

    SECOND FROM LEFT, of course. the 4th from the right is Steven Coppola.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.