Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Visiting the Past and the Future.....

UP:

1)  A whole day and more of swanning around Gotham City with le Jack!  and his 'rents and great-auntie.   So wonderful and so surprising.  I have never felt worthy of being anyone's ancestor, but there i was.   Can't beat that with a stick.

2)  Enjoying the chaos in Eataly, and experiencing the travails of getting a TAXI to anywhere.  It used to be so easy.  Is not now.   

DOWN:

1)  Taxi-getting, as mentioned.

2)  Realizing that I am a VERY QUIET PERSON, which drives a lot of people nuts.  Sorry about that, but that's me.  And when I try to make conversation, people misinterpret it, and if I try to set the record straight, all hell breaks loose.

3)  I also am not a jolly person, and that doesn't go over well, either.  Eff that, I say.

MEH:

1) So what, etc.?

2)  I do like a good medium-rare hamburger (without cheese or bacon) but with good crisp lettuce, pickles, and tomato.  and with "fence fries," as my glorious niece used to call them.  
??\
3)  Jack does like pancakes! 

4)  What is the secret of LIGHT, FLUFFY pancakes?  Aunt Jemima mix?  extra baking powder?

5)  Ver vaist??



6 comments:

  1. Our memories differ: never found it easy to get taxi in the City. But that's all part of its charm. Good that you'e having a fine time. Go right on being quiet 'cause someone there has to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my biggest problem was that my offspring love to cross the street in the middle of the block when it appears that's where all the taxis are. being slower, deafer, less sharp of eye, I usually wound up stranded in a lane with a car racing at me and no way to dash to the curb because of the heavy opposing traffic. they would rescue me, but i hate it. i am firmly devoted to crossing the street at the crosswalk. when i lived in NYC before, i never had a problem getting a taxi, though it depended a lot on where i was and where i was going. Easier to catch a cab on 7th st when you are going downtown. or on 8th street, going uptown. but not on those side streets! ish.

    Thanks for the encouragement re my quietness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:01 PM

    The only cabs I've taken in NYC were from the airport to my place of work, and from the hotel (at about 3:30am - arranged for by the desk clerk!) to the airport. Everyplace else, I walked. And...what wonderful walking. Each day of the week during which I worked there, a different person from the local FEMA staff would take me for a walking tour/pick-up lunch during our lunch break. Marvelous!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved walking in NYC. It was so beautiful! I was especially fond of W. 10th St.--some houses had fabulous wisteria out front. You could smell it for blocks and hear the bees, too! I liked walking in Brooklyn, too. Esp. over the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan when I was short of change for the subway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:31 AM

    I didn't make it to Brooklyn - only the lower part of Manhattan. What brought to mind my stint in NYC was your comment about offspring "...who crossed streets in the middle of the block...." One morning, on my walk to work, a cop exchanged greetings with me. He told me that he could tell that I was from out-of-town by the way I waited for the traffic light to change before crossing a street.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet he was impressed, also, by your intelligent demeanor and flaming red hair. Many New Yorkers know how to walk in the city, but perhaps it takes a scrappy outsider to wait for the walk signal without melting down. Good for you, cop car! I get very tired of being teased for waiting for walk lights.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.