Saturday, October 05, 2013

Too Orange....

It's not just He Who Should Not Be Named* these days that's too orange. 

DOWN:

1)  I have hit a wall on this one painting, and I can't get past it.  The person I'm painting it for says it's "too orange."  This is an early stage, of course, and it's nothing that I've imagined it could be--the focus is all off--but the orange is there, all right.  Orange happens to appeal to me.  In fact, I think I'll eat an orange today for breakfast.


2)  The newest version of my cochlear implant processor is out now, and I would love to think about getting it, but I haven't finished paying for the current version yet.  Naturally, this is not covered by Medicare.  Neither is dental work.  If I wanted a motorized wheelchair or new knees or new hips--or cared whether I could smile without looking like a jack-o-lantern--it'd be a different story.

*Not the unnamable one in Harry Potter.  The one in the House of Representatives.

UP:

1)  There ARE autumn crocuses in the park by the metro.  (Note the fetching red leaves!)


2)  Open Culture's lead article today says that "Study finds Reading Tolstoy & other great novelists can increase your emotional intelligence." 
Which one of Tolstoy's novels haven't I read?  Turns out it's most of them!!  There are 12 books by Tolstoy listed in Wikipedia, and I've read two:  War and Peace and Anna Karenina

3)  It's Saturday!  and the library is open!!  I can go see how many of Tolstoy's other books are available!!

Good quote:  "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray." -- Jalaluddin Rumi, Essential Rumi, versions by Coleman Barks

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:28 PM

    I (who, be forewarned acknowledge a complete lack of artistic ability) "see" this picture through the veil of a seine. The netting completely mutes the beautiful oranges.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy smokes, cop car....a seine, huh? Well, maybe I could drape a fish net over the frame.....But I think I can find a way out of this dilemma....wait & see....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intrigued by the painting. Enjoy what I "see" but would not want my vision to get in the way of yours.

    Are you being paid to paint-on-demand? When making jewelry back in last century, had unsatisfactory experiences responding to "Like what you do--now will you make...."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall my first painting teacher saying "Everyone wants something to will look good over the sofa." Or the piano. Lately I've thought of Vincent Van Gogh, who sold only one painting in his life. I don't think he painted it on spec, either. It's a challenge to my habitual way of thinking more than anything else, and in that respect, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i.e., "Everyone wants something THAT will look good over the sofa."

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.