Thursday, October 10, 2013

Rain Kachina settling in....

My youngest daughter, in her earlier days, spent a lot of time in Arizona.  She studied at two universities and also worked in/at/for the Grand Canyon.  (One of her jobs was selling tickets for the Grand Canyon sightseeing flyovers. The job also included boarding the passengers, loading the plane--don't think they would have much luggage, but maybe--handing out refreshments if that was part of the tour, and cleaning up the plane after the flight.  Cool job, no?)  She also hung out with Native American friends and acquired a favorite saying for rainy days:  "The Rain Kachina* has come to bless the day!"  I've always loved this since I first heard her say it.  I love rain.  I must have been a plant in a former life.  (see UP* below).....

DOWN:

1)  This is not much of a down, but it's about two hours before 11 a.m., which is when I allow myself to start eating for the day, and I'm starving!  I was starving an hour ago, too.  The longest hours in the day are from when I get up until 11a.  I've already had my coffee, but clear liquids don't count as eating.  I can have all the water I want, so maybe I'll just get a glass of water and squeeze some lime juice in it.  I did have half an orange left from yesterday's dosage of drops in 2 oz. of juice, but that has disappeared.  Hope a rodent didn't cart it off.  Not that we have any rodents here, but one must avoid tempting fate, I think my mother called it.  A more likely explanation is that my luncheon guest, who did the dishes yesterday after we ate, either ate it herself or put it away in the fridge, where it's hiding now.  Hmmm.  

2)  Oops....the cushions on my porch chairs are getting wet again.  Dang.  Not soaking wet....I moved the chairs away from the railing and farther under the overhang day before yesterday, but the rain is splashing on the various solid objects in its path, and sending a nice mist up over the chairs.

3)  My wall calendar ran out 10 days ago.  Have I mentioned this before?  Haha...of course.  Somewhere.  Anyway, the thing about most of these DOWNs is that they challenge me to
fix something.  And so rather than dash off to Staples to buy another 18 month calendar, I want to
find a good perpetual calendar that I can hang on the wall here and adjust it every month and every year.  I dunno.  As I type this, however, I'm thinking that I do love the big paper wall calendars because I can write on them.  Always handy to write things down where I'll see them.  Anyway....I also could learn how to create and then print out my own wall calendars with this futeless All-in-One.  (Shall I call it the All-in-None?)  I could do it in several colors, too.  Hmm....

UP:

1)  The Rain Kachina (mentioned earlier) is here and is scheduled to stay for the next two or three days!  It's chilly out, too:  55F!  And I'm loving it.  This is because the place where I grew up was often about this temperature in the summer!  So it feels very comfy and familiar to me.  

2)  I had a wonderful dream last night just before I woke up.  I was with a friend who was visiting a woman who sold paintings for local artists.  She had just sold a painting by the friend's friend for $1400!!  My friend (not sure who she was) told the woman that I painted pictures, too.  So she asked to see some, and then the scene changed to my place, where I showed her two or three different items.  She liked them and offered to show them for me.  Ha!  I woke up with a start and a happy feeling.  Yes!  Now, of course, I'll have to get my butt in gear and produce something!  I ordered a projector so I can add proper architectural details to a current project.  Looking forward to doing this!!



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:18 PM

    1) Please remind me why you do not allow yourself to eat when hungry. I either missed it or have failed to remember.
    2) I recall how there used to be adds in the newspaper Sunday inserts for projectors. They were going to make great artists of us all!

    Have fun!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cop car: there's this book called "The plan" that recommends we fast for two days every week--0R fast for 16 hours every day. Thus, I eat from 11am to 7pm every day and fast for the rest of the time. I feel very good with this regimen, but I do wake up feeling very hungry. My first meal is usually protein, and after that I eat anything I want, though avoiding sugars....but even there I have tea &
    Cookies or cake every late aft cuz I want and enjoy it. After 7, I stow my silverware and snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.s. I remember the ads for cartooning and writing and weight-lifting classes (the 47-pound weakling) in the comics, but not for projectors. I don't often paint buildings etc, but I've been observing in the museums how exact the paintersof such scenes are, and I feel the need to practice somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:38 AM

    Some of us find architectural "portraiture" so much easier than any other kind. *chuckling* Go for it!
    P.S. It was a 97-pound weakling, if you are testing my memory.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was testing my own memory and flunked. I think i typed this on my blackberry--too stupid. you'd think I'd have learned by now to s l o w down!

    interesting about "architectural portraiture." that's what the Salon liked, too.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.