Friday, November 01, 2013

More on Walking & Pedestrianship....

Here's a good one: 

I've also added "Where the Sidewalk Starts" in my Blogs I Love.  Scary bidness!  And yes, I'm going out for my daily 30 minute walk right now. 


9 comments:

  1. City walking is one of the great pleasures in life and one I miss living where I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories of enjoyable city walking give us a good reminder of our need for pleasant, mild exercise. I'm not one for hitting the gym and working up a sweat. I mostly prefer to get out and move, taking photos of flowers and trees and happy dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Living in a small town (under 25,000 people - plus, seemingly, 5,000,000 dogs), I may choose between walking on my neighborhood streets and sidewalks, or walking about 1/3 of a mile to access the town's combination walking/biking path system. On weekends, the walking/biking path route is preferable; but, during the week there is too much traffic noise for me so I stick to the neighborhood.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a BIG town, but it's not as walkable as NYC or the other famous ones. Still, there is a walking/biking path that goes from Friendship Heights to Georgetown. You can't hear any traffic except for the one spot early on where the path crosses a 4-lane intersection.

    I used to walk home from union station every day when I was employed. the distance was about 3 miles, and that feels just right for me. The whole route felt safe, especially in the late afternoon. In the a.m., there were too many panhandlers and street people just waking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cop Car: the ratio of dogs to people in your small town made me smile. There are a gazillion dogs here, too, and the best part is seeing this one professional dog walker with her herd--all sizes and breeds--on leashes. she really moves them out, and they are wonderfully in sync.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:34 PM

    Wow - I feel JUSTIFIED! I was feeling bad about having to give up walking a half hour in the neighborhood on the 2 days/week that I'm working now, but I realized that skipping the bus after I get off the el and walking 10 min to get to work gives me 20 min each of those days. Money in the bank! The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan! Congratulations! Where there's a will, there's a (relative?) way! You've inspired me. I was feeling the loss of that daily 3 mile walk until I realized I could do it if I get off the metro at union station and walk to penn quarter (home of the LTC and the main library) along the same route I used to take along the mall on the way to GT. then walk back to the metro the same way. So that's about 3 miles total, not counting the last quarter mile from the local metro stop to my house, and that has to be traversed every time I take the metro anywhere. Onward!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's my recent experience in Portland, Or. with orgs. advocating movement without cars. It's all about bicycles--more of them, in more places. Great for those who can but does not lead foot-walkers need: better sidewalks & more of them. Back in NYC which we left moments before the non-biking Mayor (bye, now) went gaga over them, big push to retrofit streets for two-wheelers. Now much unhappiness about "those people" who are unlicensed, ride the sidewalks, etc.
    Meanwhile what about us--old folks, the disabled, kids on foot. Need thinking before policy innovations. Bikers need to make more effort to align with us because cars are equally menace to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your post, and I agree that it's either all about parking or bicycles now. Here's one of my favorite blogger's URL: http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot.com/ He has lots of newspaper links, including more than one in Baltimore! Onward!!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.