UP:
Thought of personal commandment #2. (In case you've mercifully forgotten, #1 was Keep on Learning.) #2 is Keep a Dream Board. If eggplant (my first learning-about project) is gonna help me live longer, I want the rest of my days to be more fun. So where does this start? By visualizing what more fun will look like. And keeping a record of things I see that feel supportive (oh, god....it's come to feeling and using words like supportive). It's not about HAVING THINGS--see, this is where it starts....any time I think of something I'd like, my own personal Greek chorus sings "THAT'S NOT GOOD! Fine. I'll get around the Greek chorus by putting up pictures of things I'd like and enjoying those.
Aside: One of the things my dad had when he died was one of those automatic smoker things--for
game and fish. It looked like the automatic cooker my mother used to use on weekends at the lake.
But it not only cooked the items, it smoked them, too. My dad's smoker looked unused--brand new, a gift from one of my brothers. So she gave it to me when she was clearing out the cottage before she sold it. I brought it home with great excitement: we could use it to make smoked turkey! My husband was enthusiastic about it, too. Came the divorce, however, and the smoker was still unused. So I kept it. Finally, the kids and I landed in Iowa in our own house, and I decided, egged on by some of my coworkers, to smoke a turkey one Thanksgiving (when turkeys were cheap). So I did. Have you ever had smoked turkey? You can buy slices of smoked turkey in
some delis, and it costs more than slices of just plain cooked turkey.
For sandwiches, etc. But a whole smoked turkey? Nobody wanted to eat it, especially not me because I was so shocked that this big turkey had that smokey taste all the way through. No stuffing, no gravy=fail! Imagine....my tastes were formed at an early age when I could sneak down into the cellar at night and pick at the turkey carcass. I didn't LIKE smoked turkey. Ish. I gave the smoker to the chief egger-on-er at work, and said, no, I don't want a smoked turkey in payment. You keep it. You're welcome.
Believe me, a dream board can avoid this very thing. If there's something my little heart thinks it wants, I can pin up a photo: a house with a big garden? a place by the shore? Fine. there are tons of
magazines and advertisements and emails arriving chez XE regularly, and I can clip/print out pictures of appealing items and put them on my dream board. After a few months of this, we'll see what happens. A dream board is a good way to move things into my life OR get them out of my system.
DOWN: Not much down today. Except a big load of laundry waiting to be done, and it's Sunday. Don't want to run the washer and dryer on a Sunday and disturb the quiet. (Maybe I can do it this morning while my neighbors are at church. Ha.)
Sunday was always my day to do the laundry, when I lived alone. Hunky Husband prefers to do laundry on Saturday. (I don't really care when he does it as long as it gets done - which he is great about!)
ReplyDeleteCop Car
P.S. You and your Greek Chorus are speaking Greek to me about your dream board, etc.
The "internal" Greek chorus is all the "reasons" why whatever I'm proposing won't work. it's the usual b.s. that I hang onto.
ReplyDeleteMy tip : do not put "things to own" on your dream board - life is not about possessions - put "experiences to have" on it. In German "Sein, nicht Haben!"
ReplyDeleteAch, Stu....you're singing lines from my Greek Chorus: "do not put "things to own" on your dream board - life is not about possessions..." etc. Sometimes you have to have "things" in order to have experiences you value, eh? I could never have had the experience of breaking my wrist if i had not had rollerblades....:)
DeleteI try to remember to run the washer on dryer on Sunday as electricity is cheaper at the weekend!
ReplyDeleteDream board huh? I'll have to try it out.... when I have time!
Shammy....I don't know if we pay less for electricity on weekends. Should check that out. I'm a very light user of electricity, anyway--much lower than average (no TV, etc.)
ReplyDeleteI'm always trying to be aware of not making a lot of noise when the working people (who don't have to be out of here by the crack of dawn on the weekends) are catching some extra ZZZZZs. :)
My husband does the wash and hangs it out back to dry. We do not own a dryer. Nor do we own a smoker. However, a neighbor just gave us a free turkey, which is now in the freezer.
ReplyDeleteIf you're going to cook it for Thanksgiving, maybe you should move it to the fridge so it thaws out??? we're having lasagne for Thanksgiving. My friend's husband hates turkey, but he loves lasagne. and I'm going to make a vegetarian batch, too. (egg plant y'know)....
ReplyDeleteStu....you and the pope! Recent tweet (11/22) from @Pontifex:
ReplyDelete"The Kingdom of Heaven is for those who place their trust in the love of God, not in material possessions."
I'm saving the turkey for Christmas. The person who gave us the turkey says to slow cook it at 300F, with one cup of butter and one cup of rum, basting it now and then. He says to cover it with foil or a lid.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to see if I can find one of those big old enamel cookers at the Goodwill for this purpose. That would be perfect.
Oh, and no stuffing the bird! That can be done separately, I suppose.
"Hot Buttered Tom"?? Sounds promising. Next time I have to cook a turkey, I'll try that. Lots of people I know cook extra stuffing as a side dish--not in the turkey itself. I used to use a vegetarian recipe for stuffing. Never even sat near any turkey on the table, but it was verra good!! Last time I was in my favorite hardware store, they had those big old enamel roasting pans--called Granite Ware--brand new!
ReplyDelete