Thursday, June 02, 2011

Day 9--the house next door, back porch, 2:30 a.m.

This is the scene outside my window in the middle of the night. Light from the neighbor's porch spills onto the green lawn below the porch railing and barely reaches their picnic table just beyond. I'd love to paint this, like one of the artist Robert Berlind's paintings of the camp at Piseco. The gleaming houses soothe my eyes and spirit.  I hear no sound, no crickets, although I know they are calling. Occasional fireflies flash in the grass. This is a small town nestled right next to Washington DC, a real hicksville with 100-year-old bungalows and big yards filled with azaleas and honeysuckle, maple trees. After the sun goes down, before the sky gets inky and quiet, before I put my hearing gadget in its dry box for the night, a last train of the day makes its mournful sound down by the Anacostia river. 


On June 2, 1897, 114 years ago today, my mother was born in a small town in northwest Germany.  She was the youngest child in her family, and her own mother, my grandmother, died a little more than two years later. Mom was six years old when Grandpa, at age 47, and the other children--Anna, Joe, Tony, Frances, Henry, and Adam--moved to America in 1903. They came through Ellis Island, then took the train to Iowa. Mom told me Grandpa's brother had already moved there and found a place for them.That's all I ever heard about this brother. Did he keep on moving? 

9 comments:

  1. If you know his name and his date of birth and possibly when he came to USA you should be able to trace what happened to him.... maybe there are cousins out there that would love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo!!! My grandparents came from Germany (Bavaria), too, but I can't find them at Ellis Island. They settled in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shammy: If there's a cousin out there that would love to meet me, I'll faint.

    Kay: Thx. Maybe they came through Canada. Lots did. Where in Wisconsin did they settle? Maybe we're shirt-tail relatives????

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family also came from northwest Germany.

    If you tell me the town was Lohnsfeld I'll have a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Germans in my family.
    Not that I know of, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana: Hold the heart attack. Lohnsfeld is indeed in western Germany, but not particularly close to my mother's town, now called Anrochte. It is close to Cologne and Paderborn. I don't recognize any of the towns close to Lohnsfeld. What occurs to me is that I do not have a decent map of Germany--or of any of the countries in Europe. Maybe I'll have to subscribe to the National Geographic again to get their free world map with a new subscription!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shammy: There are probably lots fewer Canadian families of German extraction than there are in the Middlewestern U.S., where I came from and which is loaded with Germans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:51 PM

    Now you've given me a challenge. A Redder brother who came to Iowa first? (rubbing hands) The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I guess the heart attack is postponed. Wouldn't it have been a gas to find we're related?

    I just found Lohnsfeld on a map and realize I was mistaken. It's in southwest Germany, not the north where your mother was born.

    Yet in the global scheme of things we're close, very close indeed.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.