Commemorating Sanity
by digby
It's great to see President Obama stand up for religious tolerance at a time like this:
According to the teachings of Islam, Ramadan commemorates the revelation of God's word in the Holy Koran to the prophet Mohammad. The word has become the foundation for one of the world's great religions.
During Ramadan, we are reminded of Islam's long and distinguished history. Throughout the centuries, the Islamic world has been home to great centers of learning and culture. People of all faiths have benefited from the achievements of Muslims in fields from philosophy and poetry to mathematics and medicine.
This reminds us that one of the great strengths of our nation is its religious diversity. Americans practice many different faiths. But we all share a belief in the right to worship freely. We reject bigotry in all its forms.
And over the past eight years, my administration has been proud to work closely with Muslim Americans to promote justice and tolerance of all faiths.
Oh sorry. That was President Bush, well known left wing terrorist sympathizer.
Here's Obama:
Let me be clear: as a citizen, and as President, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country. That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," Obama said.
"This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakeable."
Considering that the majority of Republicans ignorantly believe he is a Muslim (and a large number of others are fine with tossing the First Amendment if it makes someone -- of the right persuasion --- uncomfortable) I think that's pretty bold and I'm glad to see him unequivocally stake out the sane, rational position, regardless of the polls. But it's a sad comment on this country that two years after Bush spoke those words and almost nine years after 9/11 that the president reaffirming religious tolerance is suddenly considered controversial.
Again, I ask, why now? I realize that there was always a fair amount of Muslim hatred going on after 9/11, but shrieking harpies like Pamela Gellar were in the margins and nobody felt comfortable saying that mainstream American Muslims should be shunned. Perhaps it's a coincidence, but the only thing that's happened between then and now is the election of Barack Obama, who millions of morons believe is the (secret) first Muslim president, apparently bent on turning the US into Saudi Arabia.
What the hell is happening to this place?
\
I second your remarks! Obama has more integrity than those who are criticizing him will ever have. He must be developing a thick skin...I guess it goes with the territory even if you don't deserve it.
ReplyDeleteHis critics have no use for facts nor do they respect his position. Maybe they would not be quite as extreme if he was a different color. I am sick of all the negativism. Earlier this week some idiots had a table in front of the post office (here) with signs to impeach him and a Hitler moustache on his picture. They can do whatever...it is quite a reflection on them (not very pretty to me). This is indeed a very strange time politically. Don't remember such nastiness.
I agree with you, too! I just don't remember it being like this, well, maybe with McCarthy.
ReplyDeleteI just got a hoax email from one of my family members with pictures of muslims praying in the streets of New York City. The email says "they" are doing this every Friday and trying to take over America. Well, the pictures were actually from last year's annual Muslim Parade Day, which started under Reagan and Ed Koch and for which the celebrants get a permit, just like for St. Paddy's Day. I shot this info back to the sender, through it may do little good.
People are so stupid.
ReplyDeleteThat's all I have to say.
You finally get a President who tells it like it is and seems to me to be a man of intelligence and integrity, and people want to impeach him and put a hitler mustache on his picture???? Give me a break, grow up people, and appreciate a good man.
Oooppps ranting again.
And ranting with good reason. We've always had these hateful extremists, but this may be the first time that a major political party has hooked up with them (at least so overtly) in order to win elections. Ooops...I take that back. Linda's right: McCarthy era is clear precedent. In between McCarthy and today, there were some decent Republicans: I remember them--like one remembers an extinct species.
ReplyDeleteCat