It occurs to me that blogging about a DC cake trail would be something I could do--go somewhere and have a cup of tea and a piece of cake. That's not too hard or expensive to do. In fact, I already have a couple of entries on my DC cake trail--even though two of them are not in DC per se. They're more in the greater DC metropolitan area. I'll make sure to take pictures after this first post, too.
#1 is the carrot cake at Joe Muggs's Coffee, which is inside Books-A-Million on Dupont Circle, where New Hampshire Ave heads off toward Maryland. Really, there are a gazillion places to get carrot cake in DC, but this is really good! It's moist and tender, and even the carrot bits are bright and fresh. Also, there is just enough of their dreamy cream cheese frosting. A+, Joe Muggs!!
#2 is the Citrus Pound Cake at Mon Ami Gabi in Bethesda, 7239 Woodmont Ave. (And yes, Cathy, there IS a Mon Ami Gabi in Las Vegas!!) Because my faithful luncheon companion and I always share one dessert, I'm happy to say that this is one big slab of tender pound cake splashed with lemon curd, fresh fruits in a vanilla sage sauce, and plenty of whipped cream! Verra good. Leave room for dessert if you want this. I'm not kidding.
#3 is the sweet potato cupcake at Delectable Cakery by the south side of the traffic circle on Rhode Island Avenue and 34th St. in Mt. Rainier, MD. (Disclaimer: this happens to be right next to my landlady's frame shop, so I've had lots of them--still, their appeal never dies.) It's a little sweetie darling of a cupcake. A great way to get your veggies, too.I spotted what looked like a great piece of cake in Georgetown's La Ruche this afternoon, too, although I eschewed dessert so I could get to the previews before "Eat, Pray, Love" started. I'll go back and see if it's any good. Nothing like proper research!!!
Ha! This is research we can sink our respective teeth into! Will our respective bellies require new enclosures? Ah the price of science.
ReplyDeleteCat
Well now, this sounds yummy! Wonder if I should just stick to the tea???
ReplyDeleteCat: All of these sites are accessible by foot--or at least bicycle--from XE's usual paths, so the expenditure of energy can take care of the cake input. XE considers waistband pinch a good clue to how often she hits the cake trail.
ReplyDeleteJoared: Good question! Of the three places in today's cake trail, only Delectable Cakery does not serve tea in house, although its cupcakes are available (unless they've run out) at Spotlight Cafe next door, and Spotlight has good tea. Free WIFI and lots of current magazines to browse, too!
Ha...As my daugher used to say: Wet's go!
ReplyDeleteCat