Rule #1: It Doesn't Matter
Whatever you think matters--doesn't. Follow this rule, and it will add decades to your life. It does not matter if you are late, or early; if you are here, or if you are there; if you said it, or did not say it; if you were clever, or if you were stupid; if you are having a bad hair day, or a no hair day; if your boss looks at you cockeyed; if your girlfriend or boyfriend looks at you cockeyed; if you are cockeyed; if you don't get that promotion, or prize, or house, or if you do. It doesn't matter.
Rule #2: Nobody is thinking about you
Yes, I know, you are certain that your friends are becoming your enemies; that your grocer, garbageman, clergyman, sister-in-law, and your dog are all of the opnion that you have put on weight, that you have lost your touch, that you have lost your mind; furthermore, you are convinced that everyone spends two-thirds of every day commenting on your disintegration, denigrating your work, plotting your assassination. I promise you: Nobody is thinking about you. They are thinking about themselves--just like you.
And so forth....Soooo funny, sooo wise, sooo right.
He's right, all those things definitely do not matter... well, only to the person who is thinking that those things just might matter a teeny weeny bit, but they don't really.
ReplyDeleteAnd what has happened to the people calendar.... mine's gone this morning too.....
re human calendar:
ReplyDeleteyou're right! it's GONE. here's the URL: http://www.humancalendar.com/portable.php
i've posted a question on blogger, but no comprehensible answer yet (three in POLISH, though....ha)
Thank you for reminding me about Roger Rosenblatt. I loved him and had completely forgotten about him. I will have to find that book. I am sure it's out of print now, but I think I would really enjoy reading it.
ReplyDeletemy people calendar came back after I went to the web site you wrote, but I didn't actually do anything.
ReplyDeleteAnd I can only get your blog to load if I click on your comments on the Right side of the screen.
darlene: here's the link to the paperback:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Rules-Aging-Witty-Guide-Life/dp/0156013606
shammy: mine is back, too. hope the other problem works itself out. today was a strange day for network glitches.