Friday, March 13, 2009

Black Bean Hummus

If you're a diet freak like I am (i.e., you love READING about diets, not doing them), you've come across the "Blood Type Diet." Since I'm blood type A, that means I should avoid garbanzo beans. (Don't ask...I have no idea why.) But....since I've been eating hummus daily since I trashcanned the animal protein, I wondered whether one could make hummus with some OTHER kinda bean.

Well! the first actual non-garbanzo hummus heading on the google page was THIS recipe. By all accounts (also on the website--more reading, no actual experience yet), it's BETTER than the traditional kind. See? "Launch out into the deep...."!)

Black Bean Hummus

* 1 clove garlic
* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon paprika
* 10 Greek olives

1. Mince garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Add black beans, 2 tablespoons reserved liquid, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper; process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add additional seasoning and liquid to taste. Garnish with paprika and Greek olives.


(Type A's are supposed to avoid olives, too. quel dommage! pas moi, etc.)

Also, this makes a LOT of black bean hummus...if you add another can of black beans, it makes even more!! By playing your cards right, you can find black beans for about a buck a can. So....this costs LOTS less than the ready-made hummus in Whole Foods or Marvelous Market. And you can add little things as you like (parsley, more salt/lemon/garlic) and come up with your very own DEFINITIVE homemade hummus!!

snappy hacking....(oops...happy snacking)

12 comments:

  1. This sounds good.
    Once my kitchen renovation is complete (it's not quite started yet), I'll get down to making fancy stuff like this.
    My little grandson LOVES black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good!

    And as a Type A, I'm not too impressed with this diet. I love olives and garbanzos. I suspect that when I check it out, I'll be even more appalled unless it tells me that I should eat chocolate!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if you are type AB negative? Do you follow the type A diet or the type B diet? Like Kay, I will follow it if it tells me I should eat chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm type O.
    Does that mean I can eat everything?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:41 AM

    Another variation might be to add roasted red pepper. It's so good in regular hummus. - H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:59 AM

    Shammy: no wonder he has such lovely head cheeks...beans are a good source of iron! Re: Type Os--you can eat anything u can chase and kill. O's are the lean, mean hunting machines. U don't do as well on dairy, oatmeal, etc.
    Kay: the good news is that chocolate is allowed for type As. The bad news is that it's to be used as a condiment--i.e. Not much. Ha. One recommended condiment for type As is mustard. Have lots of mustard, kid.
    Darlene: u have the same blood type as Jesus--loaves & fishes for u...*:O)
    H: yeah, and one of my fave kinds of hummus has dried chili pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:02 AM

    Shammy: argh...he has lovely RED cheeks...stoopid typo

    ReplyDelete
  8. darlene: the vatican has accepted the shroud of turin as genuine. check this link:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_Shroud_of_Turin_true_or_fraud

    of course, my kids will say "you don't believe in any of this, especially the vatican!" i can only say that if there were fraud to be claimed, i'm sure the vatican would have claimed it. it's their ball game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could never hunt and kill anything, let alone eat it once I've hunted it and killed it. Maybe a tomato or a mushroom, but certainly nothing with legs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kevin, my favorite vegan coworker and computer magician at gallaudet, has a wonderful t-shirt:

    "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!"

    personally, i think mushrooms turn into leprechauns and dash about the forest on their wee legs when nobody's looking.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very good but the salt is in the bean liquid, so I'd never use that. Thought of you as moved about the edges of St. Pat's Day here in Big Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. naomi: if you cook the beans yourself, you won't add salt. makes 'em tough, or so they say. i made a batch last night, and they were definitely salt-free.

    i was in gotham city saturday. didn't do anything except have lunch with sally, walk around, then have supper at the irish hotel. thought of you, too, and how much harder it seems to get around now. glad you'll be moving to an easier place.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.