Wednesday, March 18, 2009

No Fakes, Please!



Lots of vegan recipes call for margarine, sausage, and cheese--not the flesh & blood versions, but various combinations of tofu, nutritional yeast, seitan, and CHEMICALS.

What's with this? If I wanted to eat meat, butter, and cheese, I would. I LIKE eating vegetables and whole grains. I don't need to pretend I'm eating meat.

And I won't eat margarine, period. My earliest memory of margarine is being designated the family mixer. Having nimble, wiry fingers (and no job--kinda like being retired--everybody thinks you need something to do), I got to pop the dye capsule inside the plastic pouch of white grease and then massage the whole mess until it was yellow all the way through. I don't care to find out what's inside "vegetarian" margarine. At some point, I KNOW it's been a blob of white grease, and there's no way I want that in my system. I have to save that space for ICE CREAM. I know, I know. Not vegan. Too bad.

I'll get to that happy point when I won't be sneaking off to Safeway for a couple of those wee tublets of Haagen-Dasz Vanilla Swiss Almond or Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia. You can eat only so much brown rice and kale, and my repertoire has not yet expanded much beyond that. So sue me.

6 comments:

  1. Omigod!! We really are kindred spirits. I LOVE Cherry Garcia!!! I wouldn't give it up for love or money! I remember that gross margarine. My mother (born and bred on a Wisconsin dairy farm) was appalled at margarine. A family tradition when I was growing up was laughing at the signs north of Chicago that read, "Last chance to buy margarine." on our way to my grandparents' farm. Margarine used to be illegal in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell us about this cute froggie. Where is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margerine was illegal? Really? I bet there was a thriving margerine black market business going on across the border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sarah: it's in a courtyard or passageway from W. 57th St to W 56th St...it's parallel (and very near) to 5th Ave. we just turned into it on our way back to the hotel sunday a.m. there were other pieces of sculpture, both inside the building to the east and outside in the passageway, too, but this one i loved. sorry i can't tell you the name of the place. maybe Manhattan Art & Antiques Center?

    Kay and Shammy:

    Marge was illegal in wisconsin? that's a riot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. KAY-p.s.:
    you have many kindred spirits. Cherry Garcia is Ben & Jerry's top seller--or at least one of the top ten!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Cherry Garcia too!

    Did you know that cockroaches won't eat margarine? That says a lot!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.