Saturday, May 24, 2014

Doctor visit

Well, the good, excellent news is that I've lost three more pounds since my last visit to my dear PA at the clinic--a total of 6 from last month's escapade at the emergency room, and this makes me no longer overweight!!  And my BP is down somewhat.  And I'm taking the prescribed pills against my high cholesterol and high anxiety.  And I've discovered that drinking unfiltered coffee contributes to high cholesterol (the bad kind).  And I've discovered that a diet high in vegetables and fruits makes me feel really good--and drives away the pounds. 

Still....I'm remembering my favorite beloved therapist's advice:  "a healthy woman feels all her feelings."  Surely that must include anxiety, even if the anxiety is a by-product of the polio i had as a child. 

I've made my living since my divorce as a proofreader/editor, and I acknowledge that anxiety is a great boon to being an editor & proofreader.  Editing and proofreading require sensitivity to words
and the placement of letters and punctuation, not just to what is being expressed, but HOW it's being put down on the page so that it makes greatest sense to readers--it's all anxiety-producing, and heightened sensitivity and anxiety are very useful in that task.  I really DO care about the placement of commas and apostrophes and all that. I'm trying to learn not to despise people who can't figure out
it's and its.  My family is full of people who look way down their noses on those who don't spell correctly. 

So...we'll see how it goes with these pills.  I'm in no haste to demolish the good parts of my character, however hazardous to my health.  I've found a few exercises that add to my serenity, even if i can't perform them very well:  the butterfly yoga pose is one.  I didn't realize how stiff my hip joints were. It helps relax to know there are things I can do to alleviate this.  So....here's my schedule for the next month or two:  selected yoga poses, cooking delicious vegetable dishes, avoiding sausages and hamburger. smiling more, writing thank you notes.  hugging, dining with fabulous friends from the past and present (you know who you are!!!).

Happy Memorial Day to those I know and love and just encounter online or on the bus!!

5 comments:

  1. Don't get me started on the standardisation of English spelling!
    That's a thought : or a þoht, ðoght, thowgth, thouch, thotht, thoughte, or thowcht,
    depending on where you are in history.

    I refer you for your amusement/edification to :-

    http://mentalfloss.com/article/13076/11-weirdly-spelled-words—and-how-they-got-way

    ReplyDelete
  2. many thanks for the wonderful link to the article from mentalfloss.com

    I enjoyed it! not all editors have to be particular about exact spelling, etc., but my kind of editing (APA editor) was very demanding. that's one reason why I like to play with spelling in my blog--"wot" for "what", etc. and I'm fascinated by the vowel sound schwa. Anyway, it's always an education when I hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:40 PM

    Ha ha! I'm reading the book One Summer:American, 1927 by Bill Bryson. He says the Chicago Tribune, no less, dabbled in "creative spelling" for decades up until 1940-something under the batty leadership of "Colonel" McCormick. -- The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a niece who once turned down a date from a boy who "could not spell."

      heh....

      Delete
  4. DN: you think this will bother me?? give us some examples!!! por favor!!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.