Friday, April 18, 2014

Small flowers on the ground, Arboretum

Among the many wondrous sights on last weekend's trip to the U.S. National Arboretum, I spotted these little flowers growing in the grass.

In the upper left-hand quadrant:  whatever they are, they resemble grape hyacinth?
In the lower left-hand quads:  tiny little blue & yellow forget-me-nots

I don't know what the tiny flowers are in the upper right-hand quadrant. 

Here is a closer look:

This cute little wildflower patch has one forget-me-not peeping out in the URH corner, but I have no idea what this knobby flower is.  Cute but mysterious.... 

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 AM

    Do you know what the "cute little wildflower" is? It is an invasive weed around here. I spend 'way too much time pulling it and we still have lots of it back in what used to be a meadow.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cop car: I've received two wholly anonymous comments, which sadly remain unpublished for lack of the commenter's name anywhere, one suggesting that this "cute little flower" is lamium pupurium, or red dead-nettle. Does that ring any bells? I need a better picture, as I can't see the leaves well on what's posted above. in researching lamium purpurium, I've found several sites that suggest it's edible or medicinal. here's one: http://herbs-treatandtaste.blogspot.com/2012/03/purple-dead-nettles-red-nettles-health.html

      UFF DA! i don't think they have the same stinging properties as common nettles, but I believe common nettles are edible, also. gloves must be worn in gathering and preparing common nettles to cook. cooking destroys the sting! to wit: http://www.motherearthliving.com/natural-health/edible-weeds-101-health-benefits-of-stinging-nettles.aspx#axzz2zQa13xLe

      Delete
    2. Cop Car: nice to see that you're lurking while on your sabbatical....:)

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:42 AM

      Thank your reader for coming up with the name of the weed. It and henbit have the same color of flowers - and I have plenty of each in our yard!

      I never thought to eat either one. Will have to try them.
      CC

      Delete
    4. I encourage you to check this out with a local botanist to make sure this is the right plant, and that it IS edible! smell it, for one thing. i read somewhere today that if it smells like mint and looks like mint, it's probably edible.

      the person who identified the plant as "false nettle," which grows well in her garden in Scotland, is my oldest daughter.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking for it. Next time I go to the Arboretum, I'll ask somebody, or better yet, send them a picture and ask. I've volunteered to pull invasive plants in Maryland parks, but they don't look like this. What is the root system like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:13 AM

    The top flower is Grape Hyacinth (Muscari), I think. The bottom flower is Red Dead- Nettle (Lamium purpureum). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for this information. ordinarily i don't publish comments that are wholly anonymous (no name signed anywhere), but this was very interesting.

      I should have known better than to misspell purpureum.

      Delete
  4. We call it "false nettle" here. It lives quite happily in our Scottish garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. another name for this plant is "henbit"--here's a link:

    http://www.eattheweeds.com/henbit-top-of-the-pecking-order/

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.