Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Rain, rainy, rain.....

Third day of rain in a row.  good day to bake brownies, which is wot I am doing.  The 1-bowl brownie recipe inside the Bakers Unsweetened Baking Chocolate package is my favorite.  Famed Minnesota baker Beatrice Ojakangas has asserted in the past that a good (baking) recipe has only 7 ingredients.  This one has 7, though I wound up with 8 because I didn't have 3 raw eggs...just two raw and one hard-boiled (drat!).  So I looked for egg substitutes in baking, and found four, all of which I had:  1/3c applesauce, 1/4 c. yogurt, 1/2 mashed banana, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil.  I used the applesauce, since I made that a while back, and it's been sitting in a jar in the fridge.  The brownies are out of the oven now and cooling on top of the stove.  They tested a little undone, but so what?  I blame it on the applesauce.

No frosting for this batch. 

Happy Wensday, all, rain or not!! 

5 comments:

  1. Did you see that vid of the Baltimore landslide? You are getting tropical rains. We are set up for them here, of course, since this is a tropical rainforest climate, and the past two days we were deluged. Today is sunny and bright.
    I'm doing spareribs today with a slow cooker recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE spareribs done in the slow cooker--our recipe was totally simple. separate the ribs, put them under the broiler for a few mins to get rid of some of the fat. put the ribs in the cooker and add a bottle of your favorite rib sauce. cook all day.

    I can't find much video online for the Baltimore landslide (this is Saturday, maybe two days later?). I know that Rock Creek here went over its banks near my old place in Georgetown and flooded the biking path, but that's as far as I got with the results of the rains here. today it's bright and sunny right now, but they predict more rain today. Tropical, huh? wow. there'll be skeeters galore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When first I read about the brownie adventure, distracted--chocolate will always do that--I wanted to see what Beatrice O. was cooking these days. Back in 1980s her whole grain bread book gave me chance to try a banana sourdough starter. Sadly no notes on its outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. here's her brownie recipe from her dude ranch days post:

    DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PACK TRIP BROWNIES
    (Adapted from the Latigo Ranch Cookbook)
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup white corn syrup
    2 large eggs
    2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 cup chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired
    Melted White Chocolate, melted, for garnish (if desired)
    Preheat the oven to 350*F. (325*F. for convection oven). Grease an 8-inch square baking pan, and line bottom with parchment.
    Cream the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla, corn syrup, eggs, chocolate and oil and mix well. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder and stir into the creamed mixture. Blend in the chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the center of the brownies are firm to the touch. Drizzle with melted white chocolate if desired. Cool before cutting into bars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. i have never found a better brownie recipe than the "baker's one bowl brownies" recipe on the inside and occasionally outside of the baker's unsweetened baking chocolate bar box. it's quite adaptable.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.