Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Peace in the Middle East?

Juan Cole lists the various positive reactions to the recent U.S.-Iran agreement among virtually all the countries in the Middle East but Israel. Which Middle Eastern country actually has nuclear weapons?  Israel.  Let us pray. 

Remember Nevil Shute's novel On the Beach? (Or the resulting movie starring Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck?)  Amazon calls the book, "Nevil Shute’s most powerful novel—a bestseller for decades after its 1957 publication—is an unforgettable vision of a post-apocalyptic world." Post-apocalyptic, meaning after nuclear World War III.   The New York Times said it was “The most haunting evocation we have of a world dying of radiation after an atomic war.” 

Congratulations to all parties who contributed to the past week's agreement.  

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:11 PM

    Only in historical perspective will I know how to feel about the 6-months agreement. It seems pretty worthless to me, today.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is huge. And very positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cop car: I tried to email you a link to a discussion on this in Ploughshares.org. dunno if you got it. Was not home with access to a laptop, so I tried sending it via my blackberry (always a bit feeble).

    hattie: I agree!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping fingers crossed. Remember how devastated "On The Beach" left me. Have memory of sitting in movie house...at the end--and now--still see the window shade, hear the silence.

    Not enough response, much denial to Fukushima--the event and the clean-up. Maybe we feel more helpless than other world problems?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naomi....lack of response...I feel our imagination has been trashed--by special effects and too many zombies. What is that (are they) all about???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naomi....lack of response...I feel our imagination has been trashed--by special effects and too many zombies. What is that (are they) all about???

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.