Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Simpling down....

(Is that title even grammatical?  One of this former editor's hobbies is playing with language--including misspeling, odd syntax, and wotever else appeals.)

UP:

1)  Among my many books is Cooking for One by Nancy Creech.  It's got just about any recipe I want to make and in portions that mean I won't be eating it nonstop for three days.  Today it's applesauce, since I bought three Granny Smith apples t'other day at WF, and well, if I don't make it today, the apples will begin to shrivel.  Not so much the Granny Smiths, though.  They're quite sturdy.  This recipe takes about 10 minutes (after you get the apples peeled & chopped), and I'm
looking forward to having this tonight after it sits a while.  I did NOT add the raisins called for, since I don't really like raisins in applesauce.  This, to me, is THE joy of cooking.  You can cook what you like and in the way you like it.

2)  The painting I want to do came to me in a dream last night.  And since my benefactor wants
the colors of dusty rose and pale blue, that's what I'm gonna do the whole thing in.  Save for a
few terra-cotta pots, green foliage, and pink flowers.  There is hardly any sunshine in the scene except
where it sneaks in up at one corner.  A challenge.

DOWN:

1)  That recipe does not produce enough JUICE to suit me.  I grew up dining on home-canned applesauce that had lots of glorious juice.  Looks kinda gummy. 
Hmm....May require another modification, though the taste will be more important.

MEH:

1) I was saying yesterday how much I like not eating until 11 a.m.--"I can eat anything I want until 7 pm, and I love it."  The g.f. said "But you don't know that's good for you!"  And I said I never claimed it was good for me, only that I like it.  And she said, "Well, your pants are falling off without dieting, so I guess I should keep my mouth shut."

2)  Also, I am having long, elaborate dreams about important things, and that hasn't happened in a long time.  Is that an UP?  meh.....

4 comments:

  1. So interesting that you dreamed the painting -- fascinating how the brain works on problems like that while we sleep. I've had aha! dreams like that too that are work-related. Don't the physicists say that chaos is not sustainable; it will eventually organize itself -- at least I think I read that somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i seem to have entered a new era of sleep. First the dreams, then long stretches of good, solid snoozing. went out like a light last night, stayed asleep till this a.m. I'll take both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contrary to what I always heard, the thin people I know don't eat breakfast. I can't do without a meal in the morning, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that about breakfast all along until I decided to fast part of every day instead of two whole days per week. and it was murder the first month, but now I find I am eating my first meal later and later. and it works for me. I am remembering as I type this, however, what a battle my mother had getting me to eat breakfast when I was in school. She used to pay me a nickel every time I ate my oatmeal. So maybe breakfast is something my cells have never wanted--not at that time of day, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.