Monday, November 14, 2011

The Green Man!

Got this from Jimmy Feeney this a.m.  Oh, how wonderful!  I wish I could do this.  I wish I could dye my hair green, too.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Apart from the Kingsley Amis novel (much to be recommended :-) I also happen to own a reproduction of one of the earliest Green Men heads as carved on the top of a column in an ancient English cathedral. I shall have to blog a photo for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stu: Thanks for that info. I checked it out, and found this:

    http://deities1.tripod.com/deitydictionarycopy/id1.html

    Lord of the Forest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:46 AM

    Blogged a picture of MY Green Man masonry for you today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stu: Thanks for the wonderful photos! That's an especially lovely green man. Until this past week, I'd never heard of the green man as a subject of sculpture. Thanks for the info on Winchester Cathedral, too. (The Beatles had a song about that, right?)

    I did visit Salisbury Cathedral almost 20 years ago and was highly impressed by the fact that the Magna Carta was signed there in the 1200s. I also loved the statue of the pilgrim on the lawn. You can imagine how fascinating all of this was for someone raised in Fargo, ND, where there was no human structure that was even 100 years old when I was a kid. Talk about living in the arse-end of nowhere!

    I know! I'll start a new blog on all the things I'm just finding out at the age of 75!! I'll call it "Hick from the Sticks." Eh, wot? Again, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:40 AM

    Magna Carta was first signed in 1215 and did not become law until 1225. The 1297 AD version is still law in GB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stu: ok, the full name of the 1297 version is "The Great Charter of the Liberties of England, and of the Liberties of the Forest."

    What happened to the Forest???

    Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_Magna_Carta#ixzz1dzKcIoAT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:51 PM

    Mostly it was felled to provide timber for the ships of HM Navy over the hundreds of years when Britannia ruled the waves :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stu: Now we mow down the forests to make paper towels and provide grazing room for cattle heading for the meat grinders for Mickey D's.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.