Monday, November 28, 2011

Meltdown Monday......

I really lost it today.  I took my weekend visitor down to K Street to wait for the bus to Annapolis.  The schedule said the stop was at "16th St and K St NW, 12:27p."  Fine.

We got to the bus stop, and there was indeed a sign post for the non-Metro buses going toward the Eastern Shore.  The bus we were waiting for (which we had identified in a 2-hour session with the schedules last night) was not listed, but we decided to ask the various bus drivers if they knew where that particular Annapolis bus stopped.  So far, so good.

Bus 1 to Annapolis arrived.  Not the right one, and the driver (of the bus from a different, i.e., wrong, company) did not know where my friend's bus stopped other than to wave his hand and say "Here."

Bus 2 to Annapolis arrived. Again, not the right one, and again, other than to say "Here, I guess," the driver (from yet a third company) did not know where that particular bus would stop.

Bus 3 arrived.  It was the right bus.  It had the right number, was the right company, and was in the right place at...tada...12:27p, but the only reason it stopped was because there was a red light.  I knocked on the glass, and the driver opened the door slightly.  My friend, who has a strong South African accent and is deaf, proceeded to ask him if this was....blah blah blah...and yes, it was, but he set his mouth and shook his head "no" when I asked if he could help her put her BIG suitcase under the bus.  He also shook his head when we asked if she could get on the bus.

I blew up.  "Jesus H. Christ!  This is HER BUS!!!" and at that point, my friend got out her schedule (the RED one, not the brown one) and showed it to him.  He rolled his eyes and stormed off the bus. He yelled at me, "Don't you dare take the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in vain!!"  Then he tossed my friend's suitcase in the compartment under the bus and waved her on.  He also had a few more choice words for me as he followed her up the steps. I smiled and said "Thank you, sir!"

I don't know what HIS problem was, and I don't think my friend appreciated my loss of composure, but what the eff....she was on the right bus, and she was on her way home, and I wandered off in search of a hotdog because I hadn't even had breakfast yet, and it was almost 1 p.m.

Jesus H. Christ, if you are paying attention, thanks for getting my friend on the right bus home.  Amen.

7 comments:

  1. Well, Jesus H. Christ. What a way to begin the week! I hope you were able to digest the hot dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always....the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune may slow down my appetite, but nothing stops my digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Next time, Mary, take a nutcracker with you and a bible.
    Then ask the religious bus driver if he has read Deuteronomy 23:1 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can just tell he is a Christian by his actions, can't you? Bloody hell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stu: For a guy who is totally not religious, you sure know your scripture!! I am getting my DC drivers licnse renewed (NOT--a DC ID card this time--no more driving for me!), and am sitting in line holding #348. They are now serving #319!!! into which milieu comes your commment (thanks be for Blackberry). U r so funny! Thanks...

    Peggy: ha. confused folks with outdated schedules, tourists, deaf ladies, et al., are always trying to get on HIS bus at the wrong place/time, wotever. he sees his job as following a route and a schedule EXACTLY. what happens to his potential riders is THEIR concern. these rabble also must have exact change and be very 'umble in his august presence. hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Mary--Why do people of any religion think they have a monopoly on words? I am tired of being scolded for using words that don't mean the same thing to me that they obviously mean to a Christian/Muslim/whatever. Sorry for your hassle, but glad you got your friend on the bus!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:17 AM

    @Cop Car,

    "In the beginning was the Word, and it was His...." ;-)

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.