This is the story of our Mothers and Grandmothers who lived only 90 years ago.
Remember, it was not until 1920
that women were granted the right to go to the polls and vote.
The women were innocent and defenseless, but they were jailed
nonetheless for picketing the White House, carrying signs asking
for the vote.

And by the end of the night, they were barely alive.
Forty prison guards wielding clubs and their warden's blessing
went on a rampage against the 33 women wrongly convicted of
'obstructing sidewalk traffic.'

(Lucy Burns)
They beat Lucy Burns, chained her hands to the cell bars above
her head and left her hanging for the night, bleeding and gasping
for air.
(Dora Lewis)
They hurled Dora Lewis into a dark cell, smashed her
head against an iron bed and knocked her out cold. Her cellmate,
Alice Cosu, thought Lewis was dead and suffered a heart attack.
Additional affidavits describe the guards grabbing, dragging,
beating, choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking the women.
Thus unfolded the 'Night of Terror' on Nov. 15, 1917,
when the warden at the Occoquan Workhouse in Virginia ordered his
guards to teach a lesson to the suffragists imprisoned there because
they dared to picket Woodrow Wilson's White House for the right
to vote.
For weeks, the women's only water came from an open pail. Their
food--all of it colorless slop--was infested with worms.
(Alice Paul)
When one of the leaders, Alice Paul, embarked on a hunger strike, they tied her to a chair, forced a tube down her throat and poured liquid into her until she vomited. She was tortured like this for weeks
until word was smuggled out to the press.
So, refresh my memory. Some women won't vote this year
because--why, exactly? We have carpool duties? We have to get to work?
Our vote doesn't matter? It's raining?
(Mrs. Pauline Adams in the prison garb she wore while serving a sixty-day sentence.)
Last week, I went to a sparsely attended screening of HBO's 2004
movie 'Iron Jawed Angels.' It is a graphic depiction of the battle
these women waged so that I could pull the curtain at the polling
booth and have my say. I am ashamed to say I needed the reminder.
(Miss Edith Ainge, of Jamestown, New York)
All these years later, voter registration is still my passion. But the
actual act of voting had become less personal for me, more rote.
Frankly, voting often felt more like an obligation than a privilege.
Sometimes it was inconvenient.
(Berthe Arnold, CSU graduate)
My friend Wendy, who is my age and studied women's history,
saw the HBO movie, too. When she stopped by my desk to talk
about it, she looked angry. She was--with herself. 'One thought
kept coming back to me as I watched that movie,' she said.
'What would those women think of the way I use, or don't use,
my right to vote? All of us take it for granted now, not just
younger women, but those of us who did seek to learn.' The
right to vote, she said, had become valuable to her 'all over again.'
HBO released the movie on video and DVD . I wish all history,
social studies and government teachers would include the movie in
their curriculum I want it shown on Bunco night, too, and anywhere
else women gather. I realize this isn't our usual idea of socializing,
but we are not voting in the numbers that we should be, and I think
a little shock therapy is in order.
(Conferring over ratification [of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution] at [National Woman's Party] headquarters, Jackson Pl[ace] [Washington, D.C.]. L-R Mrs. Lawrence Lewis, Mrs. Abby Scott Baker, Anita Pollitzer, Alice Paul, Florence Boeckel, Mabel Vernon (standing, right))
It is jarring to watch Woodrow Wilson and his cronies try to persuade a psychiatrist to declare Alice Paul insane so that she could be permanently institutionalized. And it is inspiring to watch the doctor refuse. Alice Paul was strong, he said, and brave. That didn't make her crazy.
The doctor admonished the men: 'Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.'
Please, if you are so inclined, pass this on to all the women you know.
We need to get out and vote and use this right that was fought so
hard for by these very courageous women. Whether you vote democratic, republican or independent party - remember to vote.
(Helena Hill Weed, Norwalk, Conn. Serving 3 day sentence in D.C. prison for carrying banner, 'Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed.')
Register to vote…
XE update: This movie is available on DVD, and you can get it from Amazon or Netflix.








Wow! Old as I am I did not realize the torture these women went through. I knew that many were jailed, but it is shocking to read of the brutality they endured.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this and I am sending it to all the women on my list.
(The captcha for this post is 'learn'. Isn't that ironic?)
I always vote.
ReplyDeleteI think I have only missed voting once, and that was because I was absolutely unable to get to my polling station in time, I forget the reason now, but I fully intended to vote.
I don't always make the right choice but I always make the effort.
I really like your metric comversion chart on the blog.... very useful.
ReplyDeletei LOVE to vote. and one of the best volunteer things i ever did was serve as an election judge in our little country precinct south of bismarck when we lived there. we hand-counted the paper ballots then, and we usually didn't finish much before midnight after the polls closed.
ReplyDeleteHeaps of thanks, m.e. Excited by Darlene's promise to send the message on to her list...that's what makes this odd ether wonderful.
ReplyDeletethanks to you, naomi, and darlene, too. i hope every woman of voting age can see or hear about this.
ReplyDeleteMy first election was 1980 when Reagan got in. I've been voting ever since. I'm still with Johnson County Democrats even though I live abroad now. In fact, I've got a new postal ballot to send in for county elections. :-) Voting is great!
ReplyDeleteOld English Lady . . You've a good hand at this "blog" business. I was reminded by this one on women voters just how important a vote is. Obtaining the right to vote isn't thought about much anymore and we forget how precious one vote is. Men fought bloody wars for the right, and their efforts are well documented. Women were not so well covered. Recognition for them is not often thought about. They have pretty much become lost in American history. Thanks for reminding everyone.
ReplyDeleteBump
What a great post! I've got to talk to my 110-year-old mother-in-law tomorrow to find out if she remembers voting for the first time. If you had to be 21 to vote in 1920, she would have been too young still! Hope she's got a good story to tell about this. The D.N.
ReplyDeleteHoly crap. There was some insanity going on alright, but not on the part of those women. I wish I could thank them. I will for sure be voting in every election.
ReplyDeleteH
Thank you, this certainly puts it in perspective for me. The next time I'm tempted to surrender to the idea that my vote doesn't count for a hill o'beans, well, I will reconsider.
ReplyDeleteI must say I'm still bothered, though, by voting for the "lesser evil." I don't believe there is such a thing. Evil is evil. Its effects, no matter the quantity, are the same. Somehow I can't help wonder if our democracy hasn't been captured in some nefarious way that we haven't yet fully grapsed.
Just wondering what your thoughts my be on this quandery.
110-year-old mother-in-law?
ReplyDeleteWOW.