This is not original. It's from MSNBC--specifically, Keith Olbermann. And Kay's Thinking Cap posted it first. But holy Toledo! This is serious. This also is my 700th post on Xtreme English. I don't do a "blogiversary" (or "bloggoversary" or "blogaversary") mainly because I can't figure out how to spell it, and there are many other more important events to celebrate.
But I started blogging around the 4th of July a few years ago. The 4th of July celebrates America's independence from Great Britain--the birth of a nation dedicated to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Or so they said at the time, and so it's been hammered into us for hundreds of years since.
Today, however, is another historical milestone for the U.S. of A. We've probably seen the end of democracy here "of the people, by the people, and for the people." From now on, thanks to John Roberts, our government will be bought and paid for by corporations. (I'm assuming these will be US corporations, but who knows?)
UPDATE: As Kay points out in the comments, she got the idea from Cowtown Pattie blogging as Texas Trifles. The petition Kay cited, sponsored by Rep. Alan Grayson, D-FL, God love him--and accessible via Texas Trifles--was to be handed into the Supreme Court yesterday (Friday). There could be more opportunities online to express dismay over this ruling other than Grayson's, however, and I'll be looking around to find them. Cowtown Pattie got HER initial info on this Supreme Court decision from Time Goes By, a prime source for folks who want to keep up with the shenanigans in Washington they become fiat accompli. Had I been paying attention, and of course, I wasn't, I'd have known this ruling went down Thursday this week, not Friday. Where were my usual stops [Daily Kos, Salon, and the Huffington Post] on this?? Is this one example of what our lives will be now that corporations will control who gets to make the laws--as if they don't have a running start already? Heaven knows, most of us don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
Thank you for passing the message on!!!!! I wasn't first. I swiped it from Cowtown Pattie because EVERYONE should be angry. I hope you went and signed the petition, too. I want everyone to stand up an holler.
ReplyDeleteIt's all those boxes, m.e. They mess up one's mind. Even the ones now hidden in our storage unit continue to haunt.
ReplyDeleteLast night Bill Moyers had a great session with Melissa Harris-Lacewell and Eric Alterman on Obama's first year. Incisive and takes one a step past despair.
Oops, here's the link to Moyers--http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/01222010/profile.html
ReplyDeletenaomi....thanks for the link. i watched it (and boy, do i hate it when the guy tries to MONOPOLIZE the conversation!!!).
ReplyDelete