Tuesday, April 01, 2008

On Cheap Food & Drink

Well, I've made a little discovery here in these last days of the dollar: That wine in the big glass jugs ain't so bad after all. Especially if you mix it, as I do, with diet orange soda--per the recipe for "Atkins Sangria."

I've been allowed one glass of wine per day for a long time now, not just since I started my current diet. This has something to do with the notion that a glass of wine a day will do my heart good. However, when I pour four ounces of Carlo Rossi's best (worst? only?) into a big 12-oz glass and fill up the rest with diet orange, I've got a nice, big drink that lasts me while I read through at least three blogs and eat my miserable supper. Not only that, the diet orange really aerates that red wine, which improves the taste. Also, don't try to get fancy. If the jug wines have cabernet sauvignon, that's as good as it gets. Never mind the merlot or the pinot noir.

Menu for tomorrow:

Meal 1 - Ham slices and cottage cheese
Meal 2 - Roast beef slices and hard-boiled eggs
Meal 3 - Peanuts, cashews, and garden salad
Meal 4 - Turkey slices and walnuts

Hmmm...I'm having Miss Baltimore over for supper tomorrow night. I'm wondering which meal to serve (you can eat the four meals in any order, and you can eat only one of the items in a given meal if you want). Let's see. She doesn't like ham, and I don't think she's a big fan of roast beef, although she does like cottage cheese and hard-boiled eggs. She definitely does like nuts and salad, so I guess I'll have that for supper and include something from Marvelous Market to supplement hers.

Glory jee to besus, but I'm HUNGRY tonight! Today was day 2 of the 11 day cycle, and that's ALL FRUIT DAY. Gack.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:27 PM

    hmmm...how is this good? Not only are you hungry, but it doesn't look balanced. No whole grains? Fruit all day? I do like the jug wine...

    sal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    i know...there's no balance to speak of, except day 2 is always all fruit, and day 8 is always all veg, and after the 11 days, i have 3 days in which i can eat anything i want. but lemme tell ya, i MUST lose the weight. so i'm doing it. the main benefit of this diet is that you get just enough to keep you from pigging out when you get hungry, but you're kinda hungry all the time. feels good. and my feet do not hurt any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:09 PM

    and i can kinda bounce down the escalator in the morning like the yuppies...whee!

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.