Monday, April 07, 2008

La Petite Godin

If you think you've had it bad this winter, please go to Peggy's blog. Peggy lives in south Scotland, where it rains or snows most of the time. After a brief report about damp, she moves on to how much it's costing them to heat their home and drive their cars. A full tank of heating oil cost her about US$1500, and ONE lousy gallon of gas ( at the U.S. measurement) costs her more than US$8....Yowzah!

Just about everybody's house had oil heat when I was a kid, and my dad could fill the tank of our 1936 Plymouth for a couple of dollars. Until OPEC retaliated for our support of Israel in the 1973 Yom Kippur war by quadrupling the price of oil, the U.S. had enjoyed a long period of cheap gas & oil. To deal with the higher prices, President Richard M. Nixon and Congress in 1974 passed a federal law aimed at forcing people to economize on the highway, at least. (For which God bless Richard Nixon and absolve him from all his sins.) The law lowered the national speed limit on the highways to 55 mph. In 1987, the law was amended to allow the individual states to set their own speed limits within their borders. And in the early 1990s, the SUV craze hit. The highway economy act was on the books, at least, until 1995. And we know what a mess we're in now.

In 1978, when we moved to our big old Iowa house, it was heated by fuel oil. The tank held 300 gallons, and one gallon cost about 30 cents. A fill cost about $90. The furnace was made by Coleman, the camp stove people. It was about as effective as a camp stove for heating the 11-room house, too. The flexible tubing leading from the furnace to outlets (less than 11, btw...some rooms didn't have any) were a bit skinnier in diameter and thickness than the flexible tubing leading from a modern clothes dryer to the basement window. We ran the furnace full blast night and day, but the temperature never got much over 55 degrees F. inside the house. To achieve this mirage of central heating, we used two tanks of fuel per month. The price of fuel doubled the next winter, so while I was home recovering from surgery on my eye socket, I hatched a plan to replace the totally ineffective furnace and ductwork and install a wood-burning stove in the parlor to supplement it.

The girls' pals Andrea and Cathy's dad and his dad installed the ductwork, which took at least a month longer than anyone estimated or expected because there had never BEEN a need--or space--for heating ducts of any kind in 1853-1855, when the house, one of the first in town, was built. The new furnace's duct work in the basement was made out of sturdy metal sheeting and the sharp corners stuck down so much lower than the old flexible tubes that our wonderful plumber, who was my coworker Ruth's dad, smacked his head on it when he came to install the new water heater and bled all over the basement floor.

Next, we went to the woodburning stove shop in La Crosse and bought a Le Petite Godin wood & coal stove. That particular stove had been designed in the 1700s but manufactured in modern-day France. While doing my research, I learned that the best stoves were all of ancient design. Once people figured out how to make a good stove that was fuel-efficient but gave great warmth, they stuck with it.

To set it up in the parlor, which was the central room downstairs, we needed to rebuild part of the chimney in the attic and build a nonflammable stand for the stove on the wooden floor. Dave and Jim, two of the best carpenters in the whole world, acquired the broken slate bed of a pool table and trimmed it to a nice square, which they set up on 1x2's as a platform. They fixed the chimney, set the stove on the chunk of pool table, installed the stovepipe, and hooked it all up.

I forget where we got the first load of wood, but our first fire was not the aesthetic delight we had been dreaming of. The stove, after it was manufactured, had been coated with something like mineral oil or petroleum jelly to prevent rust. This had to burn off first, so we had some ugly smoke floating around for the first few hours of the fire.

The result was we had to open the windows and doors to keep from suffocating, and there were many frowns and shrugs among the residents until it became clear that the stove actually would give off heat (not make it even colder) and not toxic fumes. When the last of the lube had burned off, Patches, the dog, peed on the stove. This was his way of claiming it for his own--or may for OUR own. I think dogs and cats are much more attuned to human thoughts and feelings than we realize. "Hey! We got a new stove! There! Now everyone will know it's ours."

wood stove

Cast iron wood stove
PETIT GODIN 3720

The residents complained a bit that the stove, which I fired up every morning with oak scraps from the Stave Company in Anamosa, did its job too well. "Mom, it's 95 degrees in here!" The little wood stove kept the whole house liveable, and when the fire finally died down in the wee hours of the morning, the furnace would kick on maybe once, around 4 a.m., which kept the water pipes from freezing.

Since the oak scraps from the stave company cost us about $3 for a whole trunkful--enough to last the week if we used Peggy's old graduation present of a car, which had belonged to Steve and Elaine, our landlords on the farm, where we lived before we moved into town--our heating bill went down to practically nothing.

Nobody liked to make the weekly run to the Stave Company, but we did it. And we got through.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:38 PM

    Interesting account of your heating situation back then. Re: Nixon's speed limit, I heard that every 5 miles over 60mph you drive reduces your fuel economy by about 10%, something I guess people have known about for a long time but I only recently learned! - H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:57 AM

    I remember that the road tween Balto and Washington DC was interminable at 50 mph. We would drive and drive and never get there. But I think with the twin demons of energy crisis and global warming we should consider reinstituting this--unless in some miraculous way the 10% fuel savings no longer holds. Wasn't Nixon bold to do this? Our children are offsprings of Reagan/Bush/Cheney now and they can't remember a government that used to solve problems and not just hand over cash from the middle class to the rich. I hope that our nation survives and if it does, it will look back at these folks as charlatans if not criminals.

    Meanwhile thanks for a toasty post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The car was good at holding a lot of wood! It was a shame I didn't get a pick up truck!

    That car was great but as I remember it got about 8 miles to the gallon (regular gas).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:37 PM

    This was really interesting! I had no idea that house was so old. Good thing I visited you there only in the summers - seemed very big and comfy then. The D.N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:02 PM

    This is a tangent, but I just read about the new baseball stadium in DC, and how it purposely did not include much parking. On opening day they said 21,500 of the 25,000 fans took the train to the game. Has this made alot of headlines there? - H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:48 AM

    H...i wouldn't know about headlines, as i don't read the washpost or its freebie. just from looking at them as i passed by the paper boxes, i didn't see anything like this at all. miss baltimore anonymous may have something to say on this, as she does read those papers. (i don't read the nytimes, either, since they hired bill kristol. i even gave up doing their crossword puzzles online!)

    my favorite news outlet now is the rock creek free press, which has an interesting article this week on the TIMING of the whole elliot spitzer meshugaas. [www.rockcreekfreepress.com]

    as usual, when the big papers want us to focus AWAY FROM something horrendous, they dig up a sex scandal (and the fbi's wiretaps did the job in spitzer's case). of course, we good, moral, upstanding 'mercans can't have politicians having sex with someone other than their spouse!

    never mind that there are global food riots, for example, or that the dollar is falling faster than rain. we need to know to the last farthing how much our politicians are spending with deluxe hookers. depending on which party the politicians belong to, we can learn absolutely everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:37 PM

    Can you send me a copy of the installation manual? My sister gave us her 3720 when she sold her house, but we need the manual to get it installed & inspected... Any help will be appreciated! LDavieau@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ LDavieau@yahoo.com

    Wonder of wonders, I googled and found it. will send it to you as an email attachment. good luck! i hope you'll enjoy your petit godin stove as much as we enjoyed ours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:03 AM

    I am a new owner of a Petit Godin and am still learning how to fire it and burn wood. I vent via an S/S pipe out my fireplace chiminey through a heavy gauge aluminum plate that blocks the entire fireplace opening for 2" all around (mortar joints are filled in to stop airflow through these). While not the best approach it works for now as I learn the ins/outs of this stove. I generally open the damper and fire it with newspaper and kindling to around 350 degrees then add wood and damper down low. (1 spin max). I assume that the idea is to get the top of the barrel hot enough that when I add a load of wood the smoke will collect at the top and burn rather than be forced downward and put out the fire or just go out the flue. Anyone have any tips or secrets that they have learned or see any glaring mistakes I might be making. Seems to be heating well but not bringing my living room anywhere above the high 60s. I have a a gas furnace also running with the thermostat set at 60-65 depending on my Godin usage. Any comments are appreciated. couleemike@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:37 PM

    I am looking to purchase a petit godin stove (wood burning) but haven't had any luck in the US - Any one have some help??? Thanks, sparent@nwtech.edu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could I also have the english manual? Just bought a house and don' t knwo how to use it. Thank you! nmckerley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous (3) and Ithaca Computer Support:

    I know absolutely nothing about installing a wood stove. I had two very excellent carpenters to help with this. They also rebuilt our chimney. As for operating the stove, I never messed with the damper much to get it hot when I burned only wood. But it did get very hot--and part of the reason for that was we had excellent dried oak scraps to burn.

    Burning coal is a whole different proposition, and I can't remember much about that. We didn't burn much coal, mainly because the wood was so readily available and cheap. But the Petit Godin did burn both.

    The only way I can find any info on this stove now is to Google it. And there are lots of them still around (E-Bay, for example or in France or the UK). Often you can get the most information by typing in "Godin Wood and Multi-Fuel Stoves." Or just Godin stoves.

    Good luck! Those days are long behind me now, but I still recall them fondly, largely because the Petite Godin kept us so warm!

    Kind regards....M.E.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.