I confess I’ve had it with being called “an older American,” “an ex-nun,” “hearing impaired/late deafened/hard of hearing,” “a divorcee,” or “a fallen-away Catholic.” I am, of course, all of these things, plus a few other choice labels, but none of them defines me.
Robin Roberts—and forgive me, dedicated sports fans and viewers of “Good Morning America,” but I had never heard of her until I saw her new book, From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By, lying on the “New Nonfiction” table at B. Dalton’s day before yesterday—(pause for breath) Roberts has an interesting Rule #4: “Never Play the Race, Gender, or Any Other Card.”
She opens that chapter by saying that any time we think we can’t succeed because other people won’t let us, we’ve effectively “rolled a big boulder into our path.” Bingo!
I’ve been wondering why the whole notion of audism, the “ism” of the hour here at Gallaudet, bothers me so much. There are a whole bunch of young people here working hard at finding examples of audism from which they suffer now, have suffered in the past, or will suffer in the future. Audism, to this prevailing way of thinking, happens when hearing people dump on you because you are deaf.
Of course, they do. Hearing people, that is. Dump on us. In many ways. There’s no getting around it. Any time any of us deviates from any expected norm, whether it relates to our hearing status, our age, our race, our gender, our health and ability, our nationality, our religion, or whatever, we start getting those looks. And it doesn’t stop with the looks. Nobody denies that.
Roberts talks in the introduction to her book about her parents, who would never let her say, for example, “I didn’t get that job because I’m black.” Her parents never let any of their children complain about not getting anything they wanted out of school or life because they had been discriminated against. They’d say, “Maybe the other person knew more about the job than you did,” or when her sister, blessed with a beautiful voice, was in a school chorus and was sure, when she wasn’t picked for a special singing group, that it was because she was black, her mother said, “Maybe they wanted a different kind of voice—an alto or a soprano or just someone that fit in better with their plans.” Her parents instilled in them the importance of doing their best in whatever they were doing—at school or at home—and of being gracious, no matter what.
Roberts went on to become the first black woman sportscaster on ESPN—a daunting job for a woman, whatever her race. But she loves sports and then, later, news and is passionate about them. She says she has been in sports broadcasting for many years but never worked a day. She enjoys her job so much it doesn’t feel like work.
For deaf students to spend their precious youthful energy trying to combat audism is tragic. It’s a waste of time. The book The Secret by Rhonda Byrne tells us that whatever you focus on grows. (It doesn't matter if the focus is negative or positive--Want to stay fat? Keep saying "I hate being fat.") Deaf and hard of hearing students need to pour their hearts into learning and growing and having fun. No matter who you are or whatever life has thrown in your path, you can achieve unbelievable things with your life. Just don’t waste your precious minutes on this planet feeling sorry for yourself or bemoaning your victimhood or hating hearing people because they don’t understand. Roberts also tells us in the chapter on Rule #4 to do our best to think well of other people. (Well, I can think of a few people that are a real challenge to think well of, especially on the national scene, but it's good advice.) It's easy enough not to think well of others, at times, but it doesn't do us any good.
Actually, audism works both ways. The Deaf community has been the only place where I’ve ever run into roadblocks on a consistent basis because I am deaf. Why? Because I can talk. They think I’m hearing. And I’m a lousy signer to boot. I don’t fit the norm. Plus I can be a battleaxe of the first water, although I'm pretty much that way whether I'm dealing with hearing or with deaf people. No discrimination here! Equal opportunity to the core!!
I wanted to come to Gallaudet long before I actually did. The hearing person interviewing me for a deaf program (not at Gallaudet) was not impressed with a nonsigning deaf housewife with four small kids, so he rejected my application. Long story short, I got to Gallaudet, all right, but not until 16 years later. By then I could sign a bit, and I'd also acquired a profession that Gallaudet just happened to need at that very moment.
Do I hate the person who rejected me so long ago? Nope. The only thing about him that ever gave me pause is that after I got to Gallaudet, he was there, too. I worked in the office next to his, and his had a fireplace! Audism, pure and simple....
If I suffer audism, does that make me audistic?
ReplyDeleteMore seriously, the Deaf community is a difficult one for the late-deafened to deal with. Most of us, I think, feel that there are segments of the Deaf population who view us as somehow inferior. Having said that, local deaf people, including some who are proudly culturally Deaf, were some of the kindest and most helpful to me when I lost my hearing.
I have heard bitter complaints of "audism" from deaf friends. I think part of it comes from an accumulation of two things: perceptions of overt "audism" combined with a world that routinely doesn't bother to make the tiniest accommodation to assist the deaf and HoH (lack of closed captions, lack of visual cues to assist in waiting lines and queues, etc.). It gets frustrating.
I also see in most of them a fierce independence and strength that I admire.
I guess it's like everything else - people is people, and have to be approached as individuals.
ronniecat:
ReplyDeleteyou're very right about the kindness the deaf people can extend to those of us who suddenly lose our hearing. and people are indeed people. i don't know why it doesn't particularly bother me when, say, the airline folks don't see that "deaf, needs assistance" box that i check. there's only one airline i've flown on that routinely watches out for me when i check that box. (THANKS, DELTA!!!!) wanting to be independent, as you say, but realizing they also need a bit of assistance is part of why deaf people get tired of this kind of stuff. and it's too bad when the freakin hotel TV set can't show captions on pay-per-view movies. i watch em anyway and then get my money back downstairs at the desk. but for the first six years after i lost my hearing, i never saw another deaf person. it was sink or swim, so i focused on that. just being deaf takes a LOT of energy, and if i were going to spend some more energy feeling pissed off at everyone who didn't know how to deal with me, i wouldn't have had any left to live my life. you're right. i should realize that not everyone is gonna react like i do and show a bit of solidarity. but i still think the kind of attitude that focuses on what other people (aside from republicans, whom you can vote out of office) are doing to make your life miserable is way self-defeating. i dunno. thanks for your comments. they're always good to think about.
m.e., wasn't there a suggestion recently that you write a book? of course, this may not be the right moment, but i do think more when i read your stuff.
ReplyDeletenaomi:
ReplyDeletewrite a book? well, i did (not the novel, a nother one). maybe it's time to revisit that and add in recent events.
meanwhile, this dishrag in the post below here makes me think about writing. wot a metaphor to be staring me in the face. no wonder it's scary!
you've inspired me, though. i'm gonna look for a playwriting class just for the HELL of it.
TGIF!!!
Hi. A friend sent me the link to this post, and after first totally agreeing with it, I sent her a followup email, below, that she asked me to post here:
ReplyDeleteI've thought more about this and realized that the reviewer overlooks one significant disadvantage deaf people experience that hearing don't: the ability to be aware of barriers or disinformation or insults, etc. For example, black hearing people are as aware as any other hearing people of what's going on, but deaf people miss a lot, and we know this from educational experiences. This carries out into a lot of life (viz. radio, uncaptioned TV, uncaptioned Internet videos), not that it's an excuse, but it's a real consideration and difference.
I don't disagree that one must just forge forward as well as one can (as I certainly have), but that particular barrier is one that hearing people do not share or experience.
KLS:
ReplyDeleteinteresting! you mean that deaf people don't realize when they're being insulted, disinformed, etc.? i wouldn't call that a disadvantage. we have lots of panhandlers on the streets here, and friends have told me, "you wouldn't give them money if you could hear what they're saying." that's the panhandlers' problem, not mine. all of my children have engaged in serious backtalk at times, and they lived to sass another day because i couldn't hear them. deaf people don't need to hear to realize when they're being shoved aside or overlooked. however, one of my favorite sayings is "you don't need to be paranoid to be deaf....but it helps!!"
thanks for your contribution to a seemingly simple problem that's really complex if you stop to think about it...
Write a book. Write a book. Write a book. Begin today. Start.
ReplyDeleteYou have so much to say...and you say it so well.
Write. Begin today.