Friday, May 25, 2007

Is this what they mean by "boots on the ground"?....



This arrived via e-mail last night from Chicago:

This morning I attended the opening of Eyes Wide Open, the display of combat boots representing American soldiers who have lost their lives since 2003. Because it's gotten so big, this was the last city where it will be shown in its entirety.

I didn't plan to stay past the introduction..., but the main speakers were parents of some of the troops and I just couldn't leave. They all had pictures of their sons - some childhood photos - and it was so sad. One dad talked about how for each pair of boots there was a person who was part of a family. People who should be here now but are not.



In one way or another, all of them said the reasons we were given for the war were false. One mom said this war was a choice, not a necessity, and that our government can't seem to choose to end the war. Many said that war can't create democracy. They talked about the staggering number of Iraqis including children who have been killed. One mom said that when they buried their son they made a promise to speak truth for him. She urged everyone who was listening to "speak relentlessly" to end this war, so this message is for her....

If anyone wants to see it in person, it's at Jackson and Columbus and goes through Memorial Day.

3 comments:

  1. .... and there was another Canadian soldier killed by stepping on a buried explosive in Afghanistan today.
    Another family who has lost their son.
    I'd like to see that Boots exhibit, but I'd probably need a ton of Kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to see this in Ohio last summer. I was there for the Episcopal General Convention and planned on just walking through quickly on my way to the day's events.
    It definitely stopped me in my tracks. A very powerful visual reminder of the senseless violence of this war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ex-s & eryn:
    it reminds me of the exhibit at the holocaust museum here...the one with all the shoes of the victims. very powerful.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.