Sunday, March 11, 2007

Fine...Now Move the Government to Peoria


When the kids were small, we lived on a 2-acre spread on the south edge of Bismarck. We had a little horse barn and 1 acre of pasture, which we rented to our friends Walter and Margaret. Walter was a successful insurance salesman who had the old cowboy image down pat. I never saw him without his big hat, string tie, and fancy boots. Margaret worked for one of the state departments up in the Capitol Building Monday through Friday, but after hours and on the weekends, she was a horsewoman and a champion barrel racer. They rode their horses for exercise every night after work, and when their ride was over and the horses were brushed and put into their stalls, Walter often would open the trunk of his big Cadillac and bring out beer for the grownups and watermelon for the kids. The kids were crazy about Walter and Margaret. They were kind and generous and affectionate with them. Katie's first words, spoken one evening when Margaret rode into the yard on her horse Fly, were "Hi, Margaret." None of us had heard her say much of anything--she got what she wanted by pointing and grunting, her shorthand way of communicating with her deaf mom--and when she came out with that, it caused a sensation. And after that, she just kept talking.

One evening, Walter and Margaret stopped by the house after their ride, and we sat on the back porch. Margaret told me that several of their friends in the horse club recently had lost saddles and other gear when their barns and stables had been broken into. She asked if I had noticed any strangers driving slowly past the house, and she wanted me to be aware that the possibility existed for burglary.

I asked Walter if he could recommend a handgun for me. I said that it made me nervous to be home alone with the kids during the week, and I thought maybe I should have a gun handy.

Walter said, "You don't want to kill anybody, do you?" I said no...it would be just to scare an intruder off. And he said, "Well, the only reason to have a gun like that is if you're going to kill somebody, and since you don't want to do that, then don't get a gun."


The end of last week, the Federal Appeals court ruled that the District of Columbia's law forbidding residents to keep handguns in their homes is unconstitutional. The suit was brought by six DC residents who say the law breaks the Second Amendment to the Constitution, which affirms U.S. citizens' right to bear arms. D.C. Major Adrien Fenty said he was "outraged" at the ruling. D.C. police harvested more than 2,000 illegal handguns last year, and Fenty plans to appeal the ruling.

Opponents of D.C.'s handgun laws, the most stringent in the country, say they are mostly ineffective. Handguns are readily available on the street to anyone who wants to avoid the registration provisions, and deaths by handguns made up the majority of homicides last year (137 out of 169 total). Not all of the handguns used in these murders were registered prior to 1976, one of D.C.'s first laws aimed at abating the flood of handguns here: if you are a D.C. resident, unless your handgun was registered prior to 1976, you may not keep it in your home. Silberman, the judge who wrote the majority opinion, noted that the black market for handguns in D.C. is so strong that it effectively means the only people who don't have ready access to handguns are the law-abiding citizens.

That last statement reminds me of all the pickups out in Bismarck. Most pickups had a gun rack in the back window, and many also had a bumper sticker that read "When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Guns." Good, solid NRA fare for those who envision themselves blasting intruders away from home and hearth. But sensible people, even self-styled cowboys, know better.

I moved to D.C. in 1992. Peggy said, "Oh, Ma...Now I'm going to worry about you!" D.C. at that time had one of the worst images for crime in the U.S. I think it no longer was the "murder capital of America"--I think other cities had taken over that distinction. I was more worried about other things: getting run over by yuppies driving their SUVs and other gas-guzzling monstrosities through the stop sign in front of my house, or getting barked at by any of the ugly dogs kept in the neighborhoods around Gallaudet.

I walked a lot in those days. I sold my last car in 1991 when I was preparing to move eastward, and it was one of the happiest days of my life. Goodbye, gas, insurance, repairs, standing by the side of the road in high heels thumbing a ride when the car broke down. But I digress...

My late friend David lived in Capitol Hill, and I often walked to Union Station from his place after paying him a visit. I'd stop to rest on one of the park benches lining Pennsylvania Avenue where it intersects with North Carolina Ave. There's a little park there, and the benches are shaded from the broiling D.C. summer sun. And as I sat there, I noticed that on Friday afternoons, especially, young men in athletic jerseys and baggy jeans would park their old cars on one of the little side streets on the other side of Pennsylvania. And a steady stream of other young men wearing suits and ties would drive up in their Audis and BMWs, doublepark alongside the other young men, have a few words, shake hands, and then drive off. It didn't take me long to figure out I was seeing a piece of the marketplace in action. The drug marketplace. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, either, to figure out which of the two groups of young men paid the biggest price for this criminal behavior. Hint: It wasn't the guys in the suits and Beemers.

I think that we could clear up the crime and get rid of the handguns in D.C. if we did just one thing: Move the federal government someplace else. The drugs and the handguns would follow.

10 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see the old red wagon and our former play yard again! I loved that place in Bismarck.

    I didn't know about your gun conversation with Walter. I do remember you keeping a bb gun in the broom closet to get the gophers which were a big problem with all the horses around. It made me feel like we lived in the wild west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's the only photo i have of that part of the yard. the corral seems relatively big. in my memory it was just a small extension off the horse barn. interestingly, i took that simple polaroid sometime in the month of march during a thaw/rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. They were Richardson's Ground Squirrels, not gophers. I don't think I ever saw a gopher in Western ND.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:03 PM

    broke into high gear laughter at that last paragraph. geez, there's that young mayor, on the cover of oberlin alumni mag this month, much like that other brave young guy in newark. it will take far more than their work to change these cities.

    in balto, the murder capital where i lived for almost 30 years, another african-american of much education and good will, kurt schomke, tried to make a difference back in the 1980s.

    another time i'll ask a question about north dakota. you're sounding quite perky, by the way!

    yours, naomi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was ground squirrels (no stripes) but that ddn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:53 PM

    Thanks for the kind words a couple weeks ago.

    Mike Hlas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good advice about the gun. Guns are a merely tool for killing someone quickly. No other purpose.
    Please don't move the govenment in my direction, we already have more than enough drugs and handguns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NDB: Glad you got a good laugh. It's either laugh or cry, these days...

    Peggy:
    The Richardson Ground Squirrel is often called the "prairie gopher" or, more famously, the "flickertail." One of ND's nicknames is the Flickertail State.

    Mike:
    It was really fun to discover your political coverage in the CR Gazette! One forgets, also, what good sports writing can be. Hi to Craig....

    Ex-shammickite:
    We need to move the gummint toward the Red States (not in your direction!!). Let them put up or shut up for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to weigh in that this was a damned fine post.

    I really enjoyed reading it.

    With regard to guns, my dad taught me to shoot (a .22 calibre rifle) when I was 14. I grew up in rural Newfoundland, and he thought it was important for me to know how to handle and respect firearms.

    My dad was a hunter. A moose could fill a rural freezer and feed his family for a winter.

    These days, I still have a lot of respect for firearms as a hunter's tool to quickly and cleanly kill an animal for food - but as for using them as a form of personal - or worse, property - protection - I agree. They are designed to do one thing only, and that thing well: kill.

    ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi, ronnie....the last gift my dad gave me, just 6 weeks before he died, was a remington 20 gauge shotgun, which i later sold for a nice piece of change when i got tired of hauling a gun around everywhere i moved. he taught me how to shoot and clean guns when i was a kid. i was something of a dead shot, too, and he was very proud of that. all during WWII, he supplied most of the meat for our table--pheasant and duck, then later after the war when we had a car again, deer. (you needed a car to hunt deer in ND....how else ya gonna get it home?) the deer in ND were far superior in taste to the deer in MN or WI. in ND, the deer ate grain and grass, just like the cattle. in MN and WI, they ate twigs and bark and other scratchy stuff. friends of his went hunting in o canada!! and brought back moose, elk, and bear. the bear was pretty horble (stringy and fishy), but the moose and especially the elk were tasty. i loved trap shooting back in the day, but one time i shot a jackrabbit while hunting ducks with my husband, and ever afterward, i couldn't stand the thought of killing that poor rabbit. so that was my entire hunting career. guns are serious business, and i'm grateful we never had loaded guns in the house when the kids were growing up. both my husband and i had shotguns, but we never kept the shells near the guns. after my discussion with walter, i talked with don about the whole issue of how to scare an intruder or burglar away without actually having a loaded gun. we decided that the sound of someone racking a shotgun would do very well to scare the crap out of anyone sneaking around. my gun was a pump action, not automatic, and i could rack it without putting a shell into it. so when don was gone, i slept with the empty gun under the bed. i'm pretty sure the kids never saw this, and when the sun came up, the gun went back on the shelf in the closet out of sight. i did have a pellet gun in the closet, too, and peggy remembers that. i used to pop ground squirrels with that off the back porch while the kids were napping. but i got tired of killing them, too. it seemed really blood-thirsty and futile, too, since there were always 3 more ground squirrels to take the slain one's place. walter and margaret did worry about the ground squirrels' holes, since horses could and did step in them and break their ankles or whatever they call them.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.