Monday, March 05, 2007

Cochlear Implant 12 - Progress Day?

Some wags in the convent used to refer to March 4 as "Progress Day" (MARCH FORTH....groan). Day 4 (which also coincided with Progress Day this year) dawned with Sally driving back to NJ to do last-minute prep for the week ahead with her family. Day 3 (Saturday) had been mostly uneventful save for visits from Cathy and Lida, a brief walk down to the corner for supplies, and a quick shopping trip to Whole Foods with Sally. She and I had agreed that I was coming along fine and strong enough to take care of myself, especially since Cathy was available at the flick of the Blackberry if anything came up. I was a little dizzy when I got up on Day 4 to see her off, but nothing bad. Went back to bed for a snooze, then woke up about 10 a.m. or so.

Whoa! I was not only VERY dizzy but nauseated this time when I tried to get up. The docs at JH had given me a prescription for suppositories to be taken "as needed for nausea." Well, the papal we didn't need any suppositories, did we?? After throwing up all over the bathroom and going back to bed, I still didn't get the picture. Looked up natural remedies for dizziness and nausea in Alternative Cures by Bill Gottlieb, a very handy book from Prevention. Ginger, it said, was one of the primary cures for nausea and dizziness. So I staggered to the fridge, found the last bottle of ginger ale from last summer, and sipped it.

Got up to retrieve a glass of water and threw up again, this time in my handy little Ikea wastebasket. Decided to try the suppositories. An hour or so into that, I could sip water and ginger ale and even nibble on saltines. The idea of eating or drinking anything else was impossible. I didn't like what I saw in the mirror, either....lots more bruising, hair looking (in the immortal words of Flannery O'Connor in Wise Blood) "like ham gravy trickling over her skull."

And so it goes. This morning Cathy stopped by on her way to work and called CVS to renew the prescription for suppositories. I finally got up, took a bath, fried a couple of eggs, and made a piece of toast. After eating that, I slept until 2:30 this afternoon.

Healing never occurs in a straight rising line....it's up and down, up and down, then finally up. I'm somewhere between up and down right now, having cancelled two visits (from Mary, my niece, and Barbara). But no more throwing up so far. Food, btw, tastes WEIRD, and that's a certified side effect of getting a CI, too. Don't know if this is from the implant disturbing my sensory perceptions or from the tube they had down my throat during the operation.

It's been lovely lying in bed watching the day unfold itself outside my big window. Paula wanted to know if I spent the time meditating. Um, no. I can't separate the spirichal from the physical right now. It's just me, being here now.

10 comments:

  1. Dizziness and nausea are just awful. I'd rather have actual pain. Has the ringing gone? How odd that food tastes different. They told you that might happen, huh? Rest easy.

    Love

    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dizziness and nausea are the pits, i agree. The altered taste is weird, that's for sure. everything tastes kind of brackish...not much flavor and a flat, mineral-like aftertaste.

    and yes, they said both things might happen. but who pays attention? Both are temporary, and I'm very glad I didn't get facial paralysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:14 PM

    I'm so sorry to hear about the dizziness and nausea. I hope that clears up soon, but in the meantime I'm glad you can get some relief from the scripts. Have you tried Vanilla Wafers? I ate those and Saltines the last time I was sick. Hope you sleep well tonight!

    Love, H

    ReplyDelete
  4. H:

    vanilla wafers....who knew? thanx for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you're feeling yucky. I hope it has passed now. Ginger ale is a good remedy. Flat ginger ale and soda crackers is what my Mom used to give me when I was a kid. I resented the "flat" part. But it was a Mom thing and I didn't get a vote :)

    When does the bandage come off? I ask b/c I am curious about the differences btwn our experiences. For instance, I stayed overnight as an in-patient, but you didn't. Also, they took my bandage off the day after the surgery, and I see you are still wearing yours from the picture below.

    Take care and spoil yourself rotten, there are so few times in life when we are allowed to lie around and be waited on hand & foot!

    ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. waited on hand and foot? haha...they don't go that far, but they've been very kind. i got my bandage off after 48 hours (saturday a.m.). the hotel was probly more fun than staying in the hospital overnight. maybe that's the difference between canada and us health care....???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:18 PM

    Nothing since the 4th? Lordie my calendar is showing it's the 7th. Or maybe that's tomorrow.

    In any case, it was good to see you at work today--though when I saw you later in the day I wondered if the jaunt across town into an environment where stress electrifies the very air was too much.

    You seemed very worn and tired. Glad the Republican right wing gets the brunt of your pain. Nothing deserves it more.

    I hope that you are better soon. That the mischief is back in your eyes.

    Hang in.

    You are loved.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:19 PM

    p.s. We did, too, TRY to wait on you hand and foot. You wouldn't let us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. guilty, guilty....you folks were incredible.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.