found this poem on facebook just now, and I want to show it to my readers:
Take Love for Granted
by Jack Ridl
Assume it's in the kitchen,
under the couch, high
in the pine tree out back,
behind the paint cans
in the garage. Don't try
proving your love
is bigger than the Grand
Canyon, the Milky Way,
the urban sprawl of L.A.
Take it for granted. Take it
out with the garbage. Bring
it in with the takeout. Take
it for a walk with the dog.
Wake it every day, say,
"Good morning." Then
make the coffee. Warm
the cups. Don't expect much
of the day. Be glad when
you make it back to bed.
Be glad he threw out that
box of old hats. Be glad
she leaves her shoes
in the hall. Snow will
come. Spring will show up.
Summer will be humid.
The leaves will fall
in the fall. That's more
than you need. We can
love anybody, even
everybody. But you
can love the silence,
sighing and saying to
yourself, "That' s her."
"That's him." Then to
each other, "I know!
Let's go out for breakfast!"
"Take Love for Granted" by Jack Ridl, from Practicing to walk Like a
Heron. © Wayne State University Press, 2013. Reprinted with permission
Like
Yes, that's true.
ReplyDeleteI like this. Makes perfect sense.
ReplyDeleteof course!!! it's beautiful and true.
ReplyDeleteNot the big love that overturns your world and invites you to play the fool, but the everyday love that holds you together. So sweet.
ReplyDeleteeveryday love is like bread....plain, nourishing. you got it!
ReplyDeleteFunny how I love little things more as I grow older.
ReplyDeleteMy newest love is a little humming bird that I've named "Mighty Bird." Whenever I go out on my balcony to enjoy the view, this tiny little bird flies up to perch at the top of the tree, as if to announce "My tree!" He/she is apparently the lookout for a whole bunch of hummingbirds, who swarm the tree when the orange, bell-shaped, blossoms bloom.
Recently my landlord has chopped down some of the trees surrounding the building. Guess their roots were disrupting the pluming. I was afraid he'd chop down Mighty Bird's tree as well. I swore I'd chain myself to the tree before I let that happen. Good news is the landlord has no intention of chopping down that tree.
So all is well in my little world as my love for Mighty Bird continues to deepen and grow.
One tree, one tiny little bird in this big world, and then there is love, so big.
All hail Mighty Bird!
Anyway, the poem made me want to share Mighty Bird with you all. :)
ReplyDeleteAll hail, Mighty Bird indeed!! How wonderful. A friend's late father loved hummingbirds, and he had all kinds of feeders set up at their camp. There's enormous
ReplyDeletejoy and love for such a small creature. The warmth spreads here to the other side of
the country!!
With the heatwave here in California we've got lots of extra "warmth" to share with you eastcoasters :)
DeleteHummingbirds are amazing little creatures to watch, and so fast. When Mighty Bird takes off he's half way down the block in a split second.
No matter how big or small, opportunities to love are everywhere.
Wonderful words! Was just thinking of going out for breakfast on Saturday with my girl. :)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy! xoxoxoxo!!
ReplyDelete