Saturday, August 16, 2014

Off Hiatus.....

I'm officially not on hiatus now with this blog.  Leave it to Lida to boost me back into the fray.  The weather has been spectacular here, and daughter Sally & crew stopped by for sandwiches yesterday on their way back from NC.  What a good idea....sandwiches!  no cooking!  almost no cleanup.  and
I discovered that Giant in SS has Portuguese rolls.  DC here is pretty much a sourdough-only town, but there are oases of Portuguese bread (soft, chewable).  Nice to find these rolls.  I think I'll keep a dozen in the freezer for future sandwich events.

Other bonus:  The NJ gang stayed with friends in NC who have their own farm, and they send some
fresh eggs and fabulous garlic back for me.  Many thanks!!!

The Silver Line is up and running now, and articles in the washpost are intriguing. Maybe I'll head out there to see if VA has anything as fabulous as cherry mustard, a new discovery from restaurant week here.





2 comments:

  1. Cherry mustard? I can't imagine the taste. Last week I had a cherry flavoured beer from the Mill Street brewery in Toronto. I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shammy: the taste? it's somewhat sweet and hot and tangy. Not like BBQ sauce. google around. i think even WF has it. will check when i go to farmers market today.

    Here's one recipe from Cooks.com:

    8 oz. cherry preserves
    1 oz. soy sauce
    1 oz. horseradish
    1 oz. prepared mustard

    Mix all ingredients. Serve as a dipping sauce for fried shrimp, chicken nuggets or fried mushrooms.

    I had mine with slices of grilled pork loin. it goes very well with pork. Emeril Lagasse has a recipe for grilled sausages with cherry mustard dipping sauce. I'll bet that's good. It does have a faint horseradish taste, although my dining companion thought that was just the mustard.

    cherry beer? nah.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.