Friday, January 03, 2014
TGIF...
My granddaughter-in-law Medea and I were talking t'other day about how written matter has changed since the creation of the 6th century stela on display at the National Gallery of Art's Byzantine Art exhibit (last day, March 2, 2014). The thrifty 6th century lithographer (the root of that word is someone who carves words in stone (an early printing plate?) left no spaces between the words. itwasallruntogetherlikethis. My friend Cathy had said "I tell my students that spaces between words were the first attempts at punctuation!!) Anyway, this led thoughts on the wonderful videoclip Medea had sent me of Lennox's dad reading an infant's board book to him and now publishing has been transformed over the centuries, especially the last.
In case other grandparents out there haven't noticed, the little board books available now for infants now have little gadgets to allow the wee fingers to pick open a window on a page to see a picture of, e.g., a dog. Lennox, my great-grandson, has one, and they sent me a videoclip of his dad reading it to him. Where a it says "D O G," a flap or "window" behind it shows a cute little dog. Lennox's cousin Jack in Scotland prefers to poke at his mother's iPad rather than look at a whole raft of toys under the tree. Of course, I sent Lennox and Jack each a long, complicated book with splendid illustrations--David MacCauley's Built to Last, but nothing MOVES! Nothing lights up! And their parents will fall asleep trying to read it. Well, later, maybe. MUCH later. I know, I know...lighten up. You think it's been easy to be an editor?
Oh, well. My mother had been a school teacher, and she taught me how to read by the time I was 3 years old. She would prop me up on my elbows on the couch with the book in front of me, and I'd read stories aloud by myself so she could continue her chores. My youngest brother, Gene, and I started using phonics with my oldest niece Susan, when she came along a few years later. Susan could read the newspaper by the time she was ready for kindergarten and her mother wanted her to skip kindergarten and start right in first grade. Susan has worked as a librarian for years, and like me, she adores books and literature.
Back to the 6th century (and later) and the transformation of written works....I was telling Medea that one of the reasons why I loved studying Medieval Latin was because they no longer omitted spaces between words, but they abbreviated often. If you're writing a whole book like the Bible by hand, you get tired of making every single letter all the time, and you find shortcuts or abbreviations for well-known phrases. E.G., crucifixes often have a little sign on them that reads "I N R I." That was a shortcut for "Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum." That process--not the thought--is a precursor for "TGIF"! (Probably can't put that on a crucifix!!) It's the same thing as all the modern acronyms for people who are texting or emailing. Shortcuts! WTF??? WTHN?? TTYL!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wonderful post :)
ReplyDeleteI've often wondered what "I N R I" meant, and it's just the other day when a documentary showed some ancient scrolls (don't remember if they were Greek or Latin). that it occurred to me that there were no spaces for the words ("how the heck did they decipher all that?" I wondered).
I didn't think anybody but me thought about stuff like this ;)
the stela at the National Gallery was in Greek. This exhibit will be at the Getty in L.A. from April 9 to August 25, 2014. I love things like this.
ReplyDelete@Diana,
ReplyDeleteif it were in Greek, the abbreviation would be INBI, whereas INRI is the Latin abbreviation. And of course BRIAN is the Monty Python abbreviation :-)
Oh, Stu.....the INRI comment was not about part of the exhibition. It was just about my enjoyment of Medieval Latin and its abbreviations. Not that INRI is Medievel, exactly, but it's a good example of what scribes did back in those days when they had to copy mss. by hand. And a crucifix is not a ms. But they stuck the little sign above it, which was a ms of sorts. Of course it's not Greek. But the exhibition and the stela, which was part of it, are Greek--from Greece, in Greek, by Greeks....
ReplyDeleteIt's great walking around old cathedrals and Roman ruins with my mom. She can read the inscriptions. XXX
ReplyDeletePeggy, you are so sweet to have noticed! xo, Mom
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete"TGIF" hahahah! Love your sense of humor :)
ReplyDeletelove you, too. thanks!!
ReplyDeleteSarah....I published your follow-up comment, too. took off the first one since you corrected the spelling with the second one.
ReplyDeleteJust saw this post - and I'm in it! My parents told me that I learned how to read very early, but I never knew that you and Gene had a part in it. THANK YOU!! Reading is my passion truly. --The D.N.
ReplyDelete