Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The Joy of Aging....

 I've loved getting old.  It's been one of the best times of my life.  I do things I'd never dreamed of doing when I was younger and more compos mentis.  One morning this past week I woke up with a song running through my mind (ears?)...I think they call this an earworm.  Anyway, the song was "Moon River," and I even went as far as finding a youtube performance on my laptop to refresh my "memory."  We never saw the movie with Audrey Hepburn when it had its first run--or ever.  But I love the song, thanks to Andy Williams, who dominates the youtubes for this song, and the video part reminds me of some TV program back in my yout'.

Anyway, I'm on the bus going downtown to the MLK library, and the first part of the ride is uneventful, especially since the kids are not in school, and there were hardly any passengers.  No street people, drunks (who often babble), or loud teens.  So I thought I'd sing "Moon River" softly to myself, and of course, I mangled the lyrics. Had to quit the first verse and segue to the second--"Moon river...winding round the bend...Two drifters...off to see the world...there's such a lot of world to see...."  Anyway, a woman who was sitting in the seat ahead of me, turned around and looked at me.  Then she got up and moved across the aisle.  Tsk! 

Oh, well.  As the drivers say, "It's a public utility, and anyone can ride on it."  Even an old white lady who loves to sing but can't carry a tune in a bucket.  No more concerti on the bus for me.  But it was kinda fun.


11 comments:

  1. Happy New Year of aging :)

    We're all right there with you, getting older by the year, and hopefully enjoying it as much as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diana...It's friends and companions like you who make getting older so much fun! Every day is delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:01 AM

    XE--Better you than me. Were I to awaken with "Moon River" running through my mind, I would count that as torture!
    Happy 2014!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cop Car: I'm sure that was my fellow passenger's thought, too. Especially when she heard MY version. I've never related what I thought I could hear of Moon River with the actual lyrics. It's "Moon river, wider than a mile" not Moon river, winding round the bend," which would make some sense to me. The woman ahead of me first tried to wrap her scarf around her ears--"Oh, God....please make it go away"--but then she moved across the aisle to a seat where no one else was sitting by her. I'll have to think of singing to myself as a strategy of bus ridership....:) BTW, I was looking for Anne Lamott's book BIRD BY BIRD on Amazon.com this morning, and discovered BIRD BY BIRD GARDENING, a manual apparently on what to plant if you want to see specific birds in your yard/garden, and I thought of you. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I just found this gem online:

    "Earworms aren't just a modern phenomenon. Back in the 1700s, Mozart's children would drive him crazy by starting a melody on the piano and leaving it hanging. He would rush downstairs to finish the tune [source: Exploratorium]."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that singing in the (t)rain is the second best way of getting the whole compartment for myself.

    2nd best?

    Yes, the 1st best is loud farting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hadn't realized the connection.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think you have more fun than most of us. Write a book of how-to between the lines of one of those novels. Why does is seem there was more than one novel you completed under challenge? Clearly, you will have an upbeat 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naomi, I admire your ability to engage with people, especially reclusive bloggers like me. You are a rock star! And on this Thankful Thursday, I am thankful for all your gently helpful hints. Yes, I do have a couple of novels like that or rather, mss. no actual books yet. A "how to" book? How to what? Meanwhile, thanks. Happy 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My huckleberry friend! What is it about that song? Hawaiian author Lois Ann Yamanaka wrote a novel, Blu's Hanging, that uses Moon River as a theme. We get a lot of moon rivers on Hilo Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ever single moon river i ever saw has been enchanting. Yes, I love it.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.