Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Michaelangelo's grocery list

Michelangelo used to send his assistants out to do shopping for his meals.  Here's one for a meal of fish, bread, wine, and greens.  It reminds me of how I can afford to shop at Whole Foods:  stay on the perimeter of the store. On entering the P Street store, I walk through the produce and usually pick up 1 apple, 1 orange, 4 Roma tomatoes, 1 onion, 2-3 potatoes, and one bunch of any good-looking greens:  kale, arugula, lettuce, then i turn left and buy fish or sausage, then eggs & butter & 1 small bottle of milk (for baking, adding to my coffee, etc.) At the far corner, I buy one loaf of bread, then turn left and head for the checkouts.    This varies, of course, but usually I can escape with a bag of groceries for less than $25.  That'll hold me for a few days.  If I need trash bags, I go to the bodegas on Rhode Island Ave NE, then walk up the hill to Glut Coop for dried herbs in bulk.  CVS always has a good price on TP and espresso coffee (2 pkgs for $6).  Michelangelo I'm not, but I like his shopping list!  Thanks be he drew pictures, too!!

Thanks to Open Culture for this intriguing bit of history and culture.



1 comment:

  1. I like your strategy, which is mine, too, when I am in Seattle. It's a matter of focus and being on your guard. But the occasional bunch of flowers or tasty snack food will tempt me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.