Friday, January 17, 2014

Discussion topic too grim? Read this:

Belgian Waffle writes on style rules for those women who are turning 40.  That's way young for XE's audience (yes, you five!), but still funny.  We do, after all, carry all our earlier ages within us.  I think Waffle's rule on stains is excellent, and I totally agree with the one on the dog as one's best fashion accessory. To wit:
Most dogs come in flattering, warm, go-with-everything neutrals. Also, once you have a dog, no one will look at you again, except as a sort of adjunct to your pet. This is very comforting.
 And no, I don't have a dog.  They're not allowed in our coop, with one exception allowed because the owner needs the dog for emotional support.  She also has a live-in dogwalker.  That's too much company, if you ask me. 


17 comments:

  1. Yes! If SWMBO and I want to go anywhere anonymously, we leave the dogs at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever decide to give up travel, which will never happen, I will get a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:26 PM

    Skipping over anything having to do with canines (the four-footed kind), I must say that I enjoyed BW's posting and the comments elicited - especially the comment that if two socks are clean, they match. Wow! BW's observation that, "No one is ever going to look that closely at your legs, especially if you are wearing black ankle socks." is right on.
    Cop Car
    P.S. Wanna see my black ankle sox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not unless they're on your feet in this town....I don't have ANY black ankle sox. just don't like 'em. had enough black socks in the convent!!

      Delete
  4. SWMBO = She who must be obeyed.
    A sly reference to the stories by Henry Rider Haggard, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She:_A_History_of_Adventure

    I'd assumed all lady bloggers were familiar with the term ;-)

    That was sarcasm, Sheldon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:51 PM

    There are tee shirts that proclaim, "SWMBO". Unfortunately, it wasn't among those that I listed in a recent posting or XE would have known what it meant!
    Cop Car
    P.S. Sitting here in my white ankle sox (since XE didn't care for my black ones - lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear plain black socks. i do have some, but they are full of those little colored flowers or oddments (kitties, butterflies, various dog breeds). What kind of socks other people wear is their choice.

      Delete
    2. wonderful post.....i especially like the 'commas save lives," one.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous4:51 PM

      I did think of you on that one!
      CC

      Delete
  6. My fashion advice is to never get a dog who doesn't match your carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grim? No. Boring? Yes. When one gets to be really old (present state), this inane theme has repeated itself very often. Waiting for 25 year olds to start their lists on appropriate dress for thirty. May include black socks this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thrown off track by the remarks on Black Sox, which I've always known as a
    scandal which took place during the play of Major League Baseball's 1919 World Series (players allegedly bribed to throw games).

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.