But I still maintain that she, the bonnie Brene Brown, and all of our current gaggle of psych-soc investigators, have it exactly backward. I do agree that it is a bit of chick and egg. At the same time, i am suspecting that if you are not loved--deeply, crazily, achingly--in those first few years of life, it is very hard to develop yourself into a loving human being. And that "loving yourself first" is just a cry in the dark. We need to be loved, I'm thinking (you could talk me out of this) to love ourselves. If we miss those first few years, it is harder...Not impossible. Just harder.
Which is where the "be kind" and "be brave" counsel comes in.
I liked this a lot. Yes. Be kinder to ourselves and others.
ReplyDeleteAnd be BRAVE!!
ReplyDeleteBut I still maintain that she, the bonnie Brene Brown, and all of our current gaggle of psych-soc investigators, have it exactly backward. I do agree that it is a bit of chick and egg. At the same time, i am suspecting that if you are not loved--deeply, crazily, achingly--in those first few years of life, it is very hard to develop yourself into a loving human being. And that "loving yourself first" is just a cry in the dark. We need to be loved, I'm thinking (you could talk me out of this) to love ourselves. If we miss those first few years, it is harder...Not impossible. Just harder.
ReplyDeleteWhich is where the "be kind" and "be brave" counsel comes in.
Crazy deep love forever.
Cat
uff da! an the same to you! crazy, yes. deep, yes. forever, of course.
ReplyDeleteI really like this TED talk! I sent it to all my "kids" - thanks!
ReplyDeleteThe D.N.