Thursday, May 02, 2013

Bon voyage, mes amis!!


Doesn't this look like a wonderful rig? (The one in front, not the semi in back....) My friends are off to cross the country and stop at various places of interest along the way. May they have a fabulous time and return refreshed and happy!








8 comments:

  1. I did a similar trip, but without quite so much comfort involved. I took a tent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooooo envious. Rented an RV for four summers when my kids were little. Loved it. Nothing like a mobile bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a bit envious, too....but I don't envy the driving. A tent would be lots more fun, IMHO. I loved camping with my kids when they were small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:09 PM

    If only my Hunky Husband liked to camp/backpack/whatever! My aunt and her husband sold their home in KCMo in about 1963, bought a new pickup truck and a camper that was probably a bit smaller than the one in your photo (but had both electrical and LP-powered refrigerator and lights) and put $2,000 into a bank account. They then set out to Alaska, then Florida, etc, working for a few weeks/months in anyplace they liked and could find work, - to continue until their $2,000 ran out. After about 20 years, they settled into a pattern of Pacific NW in the summer and Nevada in the winter. (During summers he worked on road construction; in winters, he made their living at Blackjack tables.) Eventually, emotional problems dietracked their ability to travel (she did not drive) and they re-settled in KCMo so that he could be availed of treatment at the VA hospital there. By then, they had worked their way up to a humongus RV. But...they never ran out of money. They are both deceased, now.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:11 PM

    That is "sidetracked" not "dietracked"!
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  6. CC: What a great story! A pickup & camper and $2,000 in the bank--plus work for summer and work for winter. Was he a mathematician/engineer like you? Is that where he got his ability to deal Blackjack? (I seem to think the knowledge and skills are related--even though you and he were not blood relatives, right? Just smart. I love people who can get up and do things like that.

    Sidetracked is pretty much LIKE dietracked, wouldn't you say?



    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:32 AM

    XE--No, both of my aunt's husbands (serially) were WWII vets who did rather "blue collar" jobs. The first delivered milk door-to-door, the second spent his early working life (before the adventure) as a furniture upholsterer. During their travels, he turned to heavy equipment operating.
    CC
    P.S. I failed to include that V & L sometimes were itinerant fruit pickers and that they hunted and fished, canning the results of their labors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three cheers for them! The husbands had mastered all kinds of tasks, and it all allowed them to live well and together. Btw, my mother canned pheasants that my dad shot while hunting. I forget how they preserved the ducks, but i think they coated them in paraffin before taking them to the locker plant to freeze. Does that ring any bells?

    ReplyDelete

XE welcomes your comments. Spam and offensive material will not be posted and will be deleted.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.